This simple, light and refreshing ceviche is the perfect accompaniment to this Dark Rum Mojito with Basil.
Cucumber and Avocado Ceviche
active time: 20 min
For the vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot – skinned and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the ceviche
- 1 small seedless burpless cucumber, or half a large one (10 oz) (283gr) – partially peeled and cut crosswise in 1/16″ slices (use a mandoline)
- 2 medium tomatoes – seeded and cut in 1/8″ dices
- 1/2 ripe avocado – pit removed, skinned and cut crosswise in 1/8″ slices
- cilantro sprigs as garnish
- Step 1: To make the vinaigrette, place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Step 2: Place several cucumber slices in the center of a small plate, overlapping the slices slightly and forming a ring leaving a space in the center. Place a spoonful of tomato cubes inside the cucumber ring and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Top with a few avocado slices in a fan pattern. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Garnish with a cilantro sprig. Make 6 individual plates and serve immediately.
- Cook’s note: This recipe can also be served as a side salad. Instead of serving it on individual small plates, serve it on a large platter.
Free 30-day trial. No credit card required.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.