Strawberry sorbet with Grand Marnier

June 12, 2009

Food and Style - Strawberry Sorbet with Grand MarnierUntil the season is over, I’ll be eating strawberries every day – straight out of the box.

But now and then a dessert is in order, especially if friends are coming over for dinner. How about a sublime sorbet?

What I love about this recipe is that I can whip it up in a few minutes and let the ice cream maker do its magic.

Two little pieces of advice though:

1- make sure the strawberry purée is well chilled before you place it in your ice cream maker (see recipe for instructions).

2- the cylinder of your ice cream maker must be frozen solid. If you hear anything loose when you shake it, it won’t be cold enough to make the sorbet. Mine lives permanently in the freezer, this way I know it’s always ready.

I use maple syrup instead of simple syrup, to make most of my sorbets. I came up with the idea in my Vermont days. I could get maple syrup in bulk for so little money then! Not only did I fall in love with the flavor, but it’s so much more nutritious than regular sugar.

The splash of Grand Marnier here makes this sorbet a very grown up dessert for sure. For the kids, just omit it and replace it with the same amount of maple syrup – they can always take a bit more sweetness, can’t they?

An easy, super-quick, delicious dessert… that’s healthy too!

Strawberry Sorbet with Grand Marnier

makes 3 cups

1. 1 1/2 lbs (680gr) ripe strawberries – washed and hulled
  2. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  3. 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
  4. 2/3 cup maple syrup (grade A or B)
  5. Mint leaves as garnish

1. Step 1: Place the strawberries, lemon juice, Grand Marnier and maple syrup in the bowl of a food processor. Process at high speed with a steel blade until ingredients are very smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours to overnight in the refrigerator or 45 minutes in the freezer.
  2. Step 2: Pour the chilled strawberry purée into the ice-cream maker and freeze according to the instructions of your ice-cream machine.
  3. Step 3: Scoop sorbet in glass bowls or cocktail glasses and top with a fresh mint leaf. Serve immediately.
  4. Cook’s note: If omitting the Grand Marnier, increase maple syrup to 3/4 cup.

Here’s another dessert that tastes sublime with locally-grown strawberries: Crêpes with strawberry compote.

dessert, sorbet, strawberry

Sorbet

Emily @Cleanliness June 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This is absolutely lovely!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets June 23, 2011 at 8:30 am

Wow so beautiful and refreshing — I’d love a glass of this right now.

Donna Ford April 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Viviane, I’m excited because I just saw a place where I can buy the ice cream machine. Your Sorbet looks realy tasty! Thank you! Also the music by Marc Farre is excellent!

Vicky May 1, 2012 at 11:04 am

This looks awesome! I’ve been humming and hawing on getting an ice cream machine and now I might have to bite the bullet. Do you just store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer? Thanks for sharing!

Anita at Hungry Couple May 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I’d be so happy to have a bowl of your sorbet!

Joanne May 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Such a sophisticated sorbet. Perfect for the pending warmer weather.

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey May 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This looks awesome! The flavor combinations sound absolutely perfect!

Kiri W. May 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Mmmmm, talk about a fantastic flavor combination :) I would adore a scoop of this!

Liz May 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Oh, this looks amazing! I love the idea of using maple syrup…the subtle flavor must be incredible. And your photo is stunning…as always…

Steve @ the black peppercorn May 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

Viviane! That is beautiful! the photo is stunning but that is no surprise because you always do amazing pictures. I love your video. So warm, inviting and informative! Love it. Oh and BTW, congrats on the top 9 – you deserve it

Viviane May 3, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thank you so much Steve! You are so kind… It’s always wonderful to hear from you!

mjskit May 3, 2012 at 10:19 am

I absolutely love the use of maple syrup in place of simple syrup!! What a fabulous idea! I will be trying that next time I make sorbet which will be very, very soon. Just need some Grand Marnier! Beautiful sorbet!!!!

Deb May 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

What an elegant dessert! I just adore that the sorbet includes seasonal strawberries and can easily be prepared in advance of serving. I imagine the maple syrup and Grand Marnier pair nicely with the strawberries, just stellar!