Heirloom tomato salad with bocconcini and basil

July 21, 2010

Because I’m a seasonal fanatic, I refuse to make this salad at any other time of the year than when heirloom tomatoes are in season – even though I’ve been known to lust over it in mid-January.

I’ll admit that I’ll extend the season a bit if I find local greenhouse tomatoes, but that’s the only exception I ever make. So every year, from late June until mid-October, I’ll make this salad at least once a week.

Perfectly vine-ripened tomatoes are sweet rather than acidic, and when they are served with melt-in-your-mouth handmade mozzarella and a spicy olive oil, they command the attention of your taste buds. (Mine are prone to do somersaults without any encouragement whatsoever.)

Guess what I’m making for lunch today? Buon Appetito!

Wine pairing: Tomato salad and rosé wine: a match made in heaven

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Bocconcini and Basil

1. 2 medium red heirloom tomatoes – cut in 1/4” slices
  2. 1 medium yellow or orange heirloom tomato – cut in 1/4” slices
  3. 1 medium green heirloom tomato – cut in 1/4” slices
  4. 1 cup mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes or husk tomatoes
  5. 1 lb (454gr) bocconcini (baby mozzarella balls) – drained on paper towels
  6. extra virgin olive oil
  7. sea salt to taste
  9. 1/2 cup small basil leaves

1. Arrange the tomatoes and bocconcini onto 4 plates. Drizzle lavishly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with the basil and serve with sourdough or Italian country bread.

Here’s another classic Italian recipe that I love to make all summer long: Pan-fried zucchini flowers.

salads, heirloom tomatoes, mozarella

Caprese

foodieforager July 21, 2010 at 9:20 am

I do the same…..occasionally adding big chunks of crusty bread to soak up all the flavors!

Magic of Spice July 21, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Another beautiful salad… I love using heirloom tomatoes, they make such a colorful dish addition:)

Dawn@CocinaSavant July 21, 2010 at 6:01 pm

two of my favorite summertime things!!!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 26, 2010 at 6:33 am

Heirloom tomatoes are like little foodie jewels! Love them.

Sara July 27, 2010 at 7:11 am

I went through a tomato, basil, and mozzarella “phase” awhile back and have since abandoned the lunch time dish. Too much of a good thing! But reading this recipe makes me want to give it another go. Just need to find a friend with a garden…and heirlooms:)

Choclette August 1, 2010 at 2:19 pm

So simple and so delicious. Also good to hear there is someone else out there who won’t by tomatoes out of season.

Chefs Resources August 26, 2010 at 1:19 am

Heirloom tomatoes are so delicious and beautiful that they are their own garnish. Your salad is gorgeous!

Cristina August 26, 2010 at 10:54 am

Basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil all together…there couldn’t be anything more perfect. I could enjoy that combination everyday and not get tired of it. Lovely salad.

Marisa August 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

Perfect. These colorful heirlooms and basil are so summery. You’ve got me craving this!

Risaeats August 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

I have been making versions of this lately. The latest was from a Saveur email from ABC Kitchen in NYC, and it was Heirloom Tomatoe, Mozzarella, Chiles and Herbs. It was amazing with all those different colored tomatoes. Pretty, delicious and healthy. Never thought of using broccolini as it is $4 a lb around here. Does look amazing though.

Risaeats August 27, 2010 at 9:41 am

I spelled bocconcini wrong. Yikes. Never comment when you are low on coffee intake! I meant bocconcini, not broccolini, although they are both expensive around here. I buy fresh mozzarella for $3 a lb and if I want bocconcini it is $5 for a little container.

Viviane Bauquet Farre August 27, 2010 at 9:53 am

Risaeats, Heirloom tomatoes are pretty expensive too, but sometimes it’s good to splurge. After all, they are treasures that only come along in the summer months… so why not pair they with tender, olive-oil-soaking little bocconcini?

CheeseGoddess August 27, 2010 at 10:43 am

With these ingredients how could you go wrong?! Absolutely divine photos. Lovely!

Paula August 28, 2010 at 5:11 am

what a beautiful colours of that salad!

Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } August 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Heirloom tomatoes are such a summer treat! One of my favorites salads with the broccolini. Great photo!

Beverly Babcock July 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm

And now the hunt is on for heirloom tomatoes. One day this week, I’ll be near the Italian Market in Annapolis, so I’ll get the bocconcini and then I’ll track down the tomatoes. I know a little out-of-the-way place I go to if I want green tomatoes (once or twice in the summer for the fried green tomatoes treat), and I suspect they’ll have the tomatoes I’m looking for. Thanks for your delightful newsletter!

Viviane July 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Beverly, Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and for taking the time to write it. I’m most grateful to you and I hope your hunt for heirlooms will be successful!

joan kovats July 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hi Viviane, I love this tomato-boccocino salad too, but instead of adding fresh basil to it, I add chopped cilantro to this salad. I am unable to get the heirloom tomatoes in my area, so, I use cocktail tomatoes. They are sweet too. Thanks for this. Yours. Joan Kovats

mjskit July 28, 2012 at 11:31 pm

What a beautifully delicious salad!