My feature for Vegetarian Times: 5 spices to roast whole and crush to order

September 2, 2010

I was thrilled to write this feature for the September issue of Vegetarian Times.

After all, for centuries, spices were the cornerstone of trade, culture and civilization. It only takes a whiff of fragrant cardamom or a taste of pungent cumin to understand why.

Spices are the most intensely flavorful foods on this Earth. Used properly and judiciously, they can turn any dish into a powerful taste sensation.

To read about how to roast and grind your own spices, to get the recipes, and for great tips on finding the right mortars and spice grinders, grab a copy of the September issue at newsstands or click on A Finer Grind: The five best spices to roast whole and crush to order.

Recipes in this feature:

Heirloom tomato carpaccio with four peppercorn mix

Carrot coup with fennel pesto

Haricots verts stir-fry with Szechuan pepper salt

Tricolor charred peppers with cumin-coriander vinaigrette

Vegetable rice pilaf with Garam Masala

© 2010 Viviane Bauquet FarreFood & Style NY LLC

Demetra Lambros September 3, 2010 at 3:47 am

Vivianne, you have outdone yourself! This is such gorgeous information presented in such a gorgeous format. Love each bit of info and love the recipes. Feel like my weekend is starting right from now (it’s Friday morning in Athens) and on a great note! Many thanks for your continuing, wonderful contribution to the world of fresh and flavorful foods.

Viviane Bauquet Farre September 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Demetra, Thank you so much for your comment. I think this is one of the nicest comments I’ve ever received. You truly touched my heart. My editor at Vegetarian Times did a stunning job with the feature. So the credit goes to her as well! Have a wonderful weekend and many, heartfelt thank yous again.

LimeCake September 5, 2010 at 3:50 am

i’m not vegetarian but your recipes look delicious! the feature you did is really helpful!

ezsrecipes September 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Hi there, just discovered your blog through Wordpress. Love meeting more food bloggers! :) I am not a vegetarian, but I tried to be for a while; I have many of friends who are and so I constantly strive to find things to post about that benefit my vegetarian friends!

Divina September 6, 2010 at 8:01 am

Your recipes are very interesting. And as someone who is looking for vegetarian recipes, your blog is an inspiration. Very helpful and informative. Thanks a lot Viviane.

stephchows September 9, 2010 at 10:33 am

Congrats on the feature! It all looks delicious!

Meghan@travelwinedine September 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Wow! That is an exciting and delicious feature. I discovered coriander a few years ago, and I love finding new ways to use it.

El September 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

Congratulations. That is wonderful- so happy for you!

Monet September 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Congratulations! I saw this in Vegetarian Times, and I’m so happy to have found your blog. This was a wonderful feature, and I enjoyed reading it. Fresh spices make such a difference!

Viviane Bauquet Farre September 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Indeed Monet! There’s nothing like cooking with fresh spices. Thank you for stopping by and for your wonderful comment.

Nate @ House of Annie September 23, 2010 at 12:09 am

Congratulations on being published!

Whole spices, freshly ground, are a revelation. So much more amazing on the palate than pre-ground stuff in bottles. We always try to use freshly ground spices in our cooking.

Thanks for coming to our blog and commenting!

eva January 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Viviane, just made your Vegetable Rice Pilaf with Garam Masala…

…i did omit the butter and added coconut milk to make the meal vegan…

lovely tasting and most importantly, my children loved it!

Eva

Viviane January 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Eva! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment – You totally warmed my heart! I’m thrilled your children loved the pilaf… Very flavorful substitution for the butter too!