Butternut squash and leek latkes with pan-roasted cumin

November 28, 2010

Butternut squash and leek latkes with pan-roasted cumin

I came up with this recipe for a Hanukkah feature I wrote in the 2010 holiday issue of Rockland Magazine.

Of course, the potato latke is de rigueur on any Hanukkah menu, but why not serve latkes with other seasonal ingredients, I wondered? That’s when sweet, delicate butternut squash came to mind… and this recipe was born.

Because the squash is grated raw, the latkes remain light and slightly crunchy. The addition of the pan-roasted cumin seeds bring these lovely morsels an exotic flair, while the sour cream helps to pull the flavors together.

To read the Rockland Magazine Hanukkah feature and for all the recipes click on Lights, candles, latkes! How to throw an unforgettable Hanukkah dinner party

Wine pairing: Pairing latkes with two stunning sparkling wines.

Butternut Squash and Leek Latkes with Pan-Roasted Cumin

makes 36 medium latkes

1. 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
  2. 12 oz (340gr) butternut squash – peeled, seeded and coarsely grated (use medium hand-grater or food processor shredder attachment) (2 3/4 cups)
  3. 1 medium leek – white and light green parts only, halved, thoroughly washed and cut crosswise in 1/4” slices (1 1/4 cups)
  4. 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  5. 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  7. 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
  1. olive oil for the pan
  2. 1/4 cup sour cream
  3. cilantro leaves as garnish

1. Step 1: Heat a small heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they turn deep golden and are fragrant — about 2 minutes — shaking the pan constantly and taking care not to burn the seeds. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
  2. Step 2: Place the butternut squash and leek in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds, flour, salt and pepper. Toss well. Add the eggs and stir until well blended.
  3. Step 3: Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to generously cover the pan, about 1/8″. Using a dessert spoon, drop two teaspoons worth of batter into the hot oil for each latke. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until golden-brown. Flip the latkes and sauté for another 2 minutes until golden-brown. (You may have to lower the heat as the pan gets hot: the latkes shouldn’t turn brown too fast and the oil should never come to smoking point.) Transfer to a platter lined with a paper towel. Repeat until the butternut squash mixture has all been used up, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.
  4. Cook’s note: The latkes can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and kept at room temperature. To re-heat, place on a jellyroll pan and warm in a 400°F (204ºC) preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes until sizzling and proceed with step 4.
  5. Step 4: Place the latkes on a platter. Spoon a dollop of sour cream on top of each latke. Garnish with a cilantro leaf and serve immediately.

Get hundreds more exclusive recipes with members-only step-by-step videos, now! Plus a free 30-day membership to Food & Style Club—Viviane’s interactive, multimedia cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

Butternut squash

Here are two other delicious latke recipes for you to try: Potato latkes with apple confit and crispy sage, and Roasted beet-scallion latkes with cayenne crème fraîche.

© 2010 Viviane Bauquet Farre Food & Style NY LLC

Latkes

lisaiscooking November 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

I’m so glad I saw this today. I have two butternut squashes in my kitchen, and I was feeling uninspired about them. This looks perfect!

Lori Lynn December 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

They sound terrific. I’ll be making latkes tonight too. Happy Hannukah!
LL

mimi December 1, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love the color of these! They look delicious! The beet variation looks yummy too. I have both beets and squash right now :)

torviewtoronto December 1, 2010 at 11:41 am

beautifully presented looks delicious

Viviane December 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for your comments everyone and wishing you and yours a very happy Hanukkah!

Tiffany December 1, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I am loving your blog, it seems I am saving every recipe! This one is no exception, I only recently discovered I like leeks, this sounds wonderful!

Kristen December 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love both of these vegetables! I’m bookmarking this recipe for later as it looks delicious. Beautiful photo, too. :)

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 11:30 pm

V-

We made these tonight for our chanukah celebration. They were a hit – even with the boy and his discriminating palate. Yah!

Hope you and Marc are well. It’s crazy as usual around here.

Love, Michelle and the rest of the gang

Viviane December 2, 2010 at 12:18 am

Oh Michelle! You made my day… I’m so glad the recipe was a hit – and to have Atticus’s endorsement is quite a feat! Much love and hugs to the whole family and Happy Hanukkah, Chanukah, Hannukah!

Baking Barrister December 3, 2010 at 1:39 am

Woo for another non-potato latke recipe! I’m determined not to make one potato latke this year & this is some welcome inspiration.

Jenny Nguyen December 3, 2010 at 5:00 am

yup, agree these would go very nicely with a sparkling white wine… they look delicious, light and crispy :)

Debi (Table Talk) December 3, 2010 at 11:26 am

Oh, it is a bit chilly outside today, and these sound like something I want to make for lunch…beautiful as always, Viviane.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' December 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I love the color and texture of these latkes! The sweet potato and sage latkes that I posted were delicious and a nice change of pace, but I’ll definitely have to try yours. Happy Hanukkah!

Trish December 3, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Wow, these are gorgeous! I love how you used leeks and squash instead of potato. They must taste delicious! And the cumin is the perfect touch. Congrats on top 9!!

Viviane December 3, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Baking Barrister, Jenny, Debi, Priscilla & Trish, Thank you So much for stopping by and for your wonderful comments!

Gwen~healthymamma December 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm

You have no idea how excited I am about this recipe! The flavours are so wonderful, exciting and refreshing! This is one of those recipes that I find and can’t believe I ever lived without! If it wern’t 5 pm I run to the stor and buy some leeks! This is tomorow nights dinner and it can’t come soon enough!
Thanks for sharing!

Shirley December 6, 2010 at 1:02 am

These are so beautiful! I’ve never made latkes before but I’m going to be trying this recipe. Love all the ingredients and what a gorgeous photo.

Hannah December 14, 2010 at 6:48 am

I absolutely love the idea of the recipe and would like to make it for my parents-in-law over Christmas. They are strict vegetarians and averse to eating eggs – is there something that I could substitute instead as a binding agent?

Donna Ford November 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Now that looks delicious Viviane! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Great photo! I will check out your feature in the Rockland Magazine!

Nova December 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

Outstanding twist – cumin and butternut squash are a powerful combination…what an explosion of flavor. Added to my Christmakkah party menu.

Viviane December 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Thank you so much Nova! Wishing you a delicious “Christmakkah”!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. December 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm

These are so pretty! I love that you used squash and I love that pop of color the leeks add!