Don’t think this martini is going to be syrupy-sweet! It’s off-dry – intensely flavorful, luscious and only sweet enough to be impossibly decadent.
The dark chocolate cayenne-spiked rim brings a touch of spicy heat, making you want to take each sip from a new spot on the rim (at least that’s what my husband, Marc, does eagerly every time I hand him one of these!) – and the ginger liqueur and lemon bitters make this cocktail taste as exotic as it looks.
To complete the experience, serve them with these chocolate madeleines. They too are sweetened with restraint, so the pair could even be served before dinner.
Chocolate-Ginger Martini with Cayenne-Spiked Rim
active time: 15 min
For the chocolate rim
- 2 oz (57gr) semisweet chocolate – cut in small chunks (preferably Valrhona, Scharffen Berger or Callebaut)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
For the martini
- 1 1/2 oz (44ml) vodka
- 1 oz (30ml) Godiva original chocolate liqueur
- 1/2 oz (15ml) Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- 2 dashes lemon bitters
- lemon twist as garnish
- Step 1: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over gently simmering water, stirring constantly until smooth. Add the cayenne and stir until well incorporated. Pour the chocolate on a flat surface (the back of a plate or baking tray works well) and spread into an 8” circle, about 1/8” thick. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes, so that it is warm, but not hot. Press the rim of the martini glass into the warm chocolate. Place the glass in the freezer until set, about 10 minutes.
- Cook’s note: When pressing the glass into the warm chocolate, tip and rotate the rim so as not to create a suction-cup effect. This recipe makes enough melted chocolate for two dozen chocolate-rimmed glasses. The glasses can be prepared and kept in the freezer of refrigerator up to 12 hours ahead.
- Step 2: Shake the vodka, liqueurs and bitters with large ice cubes until shaker is frosted, and strain into the chocolate-rimmed chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon and serve immediately.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
No credit card required.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.