Bruschetta with ricotta, grilled eggplant and fresh mint

September 1, 2011

Grilling turns the rather spongy, bland eggplant into something utterly succulent. Made with firm-fleshed, freshly picked eggplant, these bruschettas, although simple, are loaded with flavor.

If you’ve never made your own ricotta, make sure to give it a try. It’ll only take a few minutes and your bruschettas will be transformed!

A few simple ingredients becoming gorgeous mouthfuls… My favorite way to cook summer fare.

Bruschetta with Ricotta, Grilled Eggplant and Fresh Mint

makes 8 bruschettas or 4 servings

For the eggplants

1. 4 baby eggplants (1 lb) (454gr) – ends trimmed and each cut lengthwise in 4″ x 1/4” slices
  2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
  3. sea salt to taste

For the bruschettas

1. 8 slices ciabatta or other light, crusty country bread – about 1″ thick
  2. 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
  3. sea salt to taste
  5. extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
  6. 16 large fresh mint leaves – cut en chiffonade

1. Preheat gas grill to medium-high heat or prepare charcoal grill.
  2. Step 1: Lightly brush the eggplant slices with the olive oil and lay on a jellyroll pan. When the grill is ready, place slices directly on the grill and grill until grill marks appear and slices are nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer slices back to the jellyroll pan and sprinkle with salt. When slices are cool enough to handle, cut in 1/4” dices, place in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Step 2: When ready to serve (do not prepare these ahead of time as the bread will get soggy), grill the bread slices on both sides until grill marks appear, or place under the broiler until golden-brown. Top each slice with 2 tablespoons of ricotta and spread the cheese evenly over the surface of the bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with the chopped grilled eggplant. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with the mint chiffonade. Serve immediately.
  4. Cook’s note: If you don’t have a grill, you can roast the eggplant slices in a 500ºF (260ºC) pre-heated oven for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the slices are golden-brown.

These spicy beet-green crostini make another deliciously savory appetizer.

appetizers, bruschetta, eggplant

Bruschetta

Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 1:05 am

Gorgeous! Some of my favorite ingredients. I had some sheep’s milk ricotta a couple of months ago at a restaurant in Berkeley, it came from Bellwether Farms. It was unbelievably creamy and decadent. Can’t say I’ve ever made my own, but it would be a fun experiment!

Michelle September 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

these are absolutely beautiful. i love the idea of using eggplant as a crostini topper. this would be great with a spread like hummus or even by itself (lactose intolerant otherwise I would be all over the cheese). thanks for the post!

Viviane September 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

Michelle, although the bruschetta are pretty irresistible with the ricotta, you can make them just with the eggplant, mint and olive oil – just as delicious!

Laurie September 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Viviane, these are beautiful and look delicious. I think I’ll make them this weekend. Thanks for another great idea!

Donna Ford September 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Wow those look delicious and it’s almost lunch time. I better give it a tyry!

Eli the WineGuyD September 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Bravo V, I never would have thought to pair the eggplant with ricootta…sounds sumptuous, we’ll give it a shot this weekend. This sounds like a dish for a richer, dare I say oaky, new world Chardonnay…or…a white Chateauneuf du Pape! Sante!

Jennifer Eloff September 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I sometimes use eggplant itself as the base for bruschetta. Love eggplant anything.

Liz September 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

SO beautiful…and extra delicious with your homemade ricotta!

Peggy September 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm

What a great take on bruschetta! Now I have something new to try with our eggplant =)

Ann September 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm

This is FABULOUS! I’m a huge fan of grilled eggplant and to go with your amazing ricotta…what a winning combination! Buzzed!

Kim Bee September 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

This recipe is beautiful. Love the picture. I have eggplant from the farmer’s market. This might be the way to use it up. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend.

Elies_Lie September 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

Bruschetta, eggplan & ricotta + grilled >> Love it!
I’m tempting right now! :D

Lori Lynn September 6, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi Viviane – looks great, love the combination of flavors.
LL

Cristina September 7, 2011 at 1:36 am

Viviane: I want to make these ricotta eggplant bruschetta! I’m looking for some baby eggplant tomorrow and checking out how you made fresh ricotta. Delicious and gorgeous presentation!

Tiffany September 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

What a great appetizer! and the fresh mint! WOW!

Viviane September 8, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thank you so much for your comments everyone! I’m delighted you like the bruschettas… I’ve made them twice since I published the recipe. I think I’m a wee bit addicted to them!

5 Star Foodie September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

A terrific appetizer, the combination of grilled eggplant and ricotta sounds super delicious.

Lindsay (Rosemarried) September 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I don’t know how I’ve never stumbled across your blog before, but I’m so glad I saw you on Foodbuzz. Your blog is gorgeous and your recipes are so interesting. This bruschetta really caught my eye! The combo of eggplant, ricotta and mint sounds divine. I’m going to have to try this.

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 13, 2012 at 11:51 am

One of my favorites–grilled eggplant. I love it with the homemade ricotta. :)

Cucina49 July 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’ll have to remember this the next time I get some ricotta. What amazing color you got on that eggplant!

Choc Chip Uru July 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Your bruschetta looks sensational my friend, what wonderful flavours :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Eftychia July 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

So good! My dietitian will be thrilled with this dish!

Anita at Hungry Couple July 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love the simple, clean flavors here!

cakewhiz September 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

oh my! i tend to eat bruchetta the traditional way but i like this adventurous take on a classic :)