If you’ve never had a Bloody Mary made with fresh tomatoes, you’re in for a treat. It makes a lighter, more delicate and yet unbelievably flavorful libation.
Here the fresh tomatoes are puréed with four different fresh herbs: basil, oregano, thyme and parsley. The herbs infuse with the fresh juice for 20 minutes before being strained – time enough to impart their ambrosial perfume to the tomato juice.
On a side note, ground black pepper is truly the spice of choice for this drink. It brings a spicy-kick without overpowering the delicate flavors of the herbs. So go easy on the Tabasco, but let your black pepper mill run free!
This is not just another Bloody Mary, it’s a refined cocktail – you’ll want to savor every sip.
Fresh Tomato Bloody Mary with Garden Herbs and Celery Bitters
active time: 15 min
For the tomato juice with fresh herbs
- 1 1/4 lbs (567gr) vine-ripened tomatoes (3 medium) – unpeeled and quartered
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1 sprig oregano
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
For the cocktail
- 6 oz (177ml) Tomato Juice with Fresh Herbs (see Step 1 and 2)
- 4 1/2 oz (133ml) vodka
- 1 oz (30ml) lemon juice
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 2 dashes celery bitters
- celery leaves as garnish
- Step 1: To make the tomato juice – Place the tomato pieces, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Then process until puréed, about 20 seconds. Do not over-process or the tomato purée will become lighter in color and yield a less-attractive cocktail. Transfer to a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes so the flavors develop.
- Step 2: Transfer to a fine sieve suspended over a bowl. With a silicone spatula, stir the purée until all the juice has been strained and only the pulp, coarse herbs and seeds are left behind. You should have 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) (355ml) of juice – enough to make 4 cocktails. Transfer juice into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 24 hours.
- Step 3: To make the cocktail – Shake the tomato juice, vodka, lemon juice, Tabasco, angostura bitters and celery bitters with ice cubes until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Pour into cocktail glasses, garnish with a celery leaf and serve ice cold.
Free 30-day trial. No credit card required.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.