Few recipes are as easy to make – not to mention as low in calories – as this cauliflower purée.
Gently boiled in milk with a bundle of fresh thyme, the cauliflower acquires a delicate flavor and silky texture. With just over 100 calories per serving, this recipe is as delicious and light as it gets.
The touch of crème fraîche at the end makes the purée more luxurious for sure, but if you want an even lower-calorie side dish, you can certainly omit it.
Even better, you can prepare the purée ahead of time and re-heat it for a few minutes before you serve it. In my book, that makes it an ideal recipe when cooking a large meal… like a Thanksgiving feast!
Cauliflower Purée with Parmesan and Thyme
active time: 15 min
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- 1 medium cauliflower (2 1/4 lbs) (1kg) – florets torn in 2” pieces
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme – tied in a bundle with kitchen string
- freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Reggiano parmesan
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
- Step 1: Bring milk to a boil in a large pot. Add half the salt, cauliflower and thyme bundle. Reduce heat to medium and partially cover the pan so that the milk doesn’t boil over. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until cauliflower is very tender. Strain in a colander, reserve the milk and let stand for 10 minutes until well drained. Discard thyme bundle.
- Step 2: Place the cauliflower florets in the bowl of a food processor and process with a steel blade until coarsely chopped. Add the balance of the salt, pepper, parmesan and 2 tablespoons of the reserved milk. Process for another 30 seconds until very smooth. Add a bit more reserved milk to the desired consistency, if needed.
- Cook’s note: The purée can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Transfer the purée to a bowl, let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Step 3: When ready to serve, place the purée in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until very warm, stirring frequently. Add the crème fraîche and stir until well incorporated. Transfer the purée to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Free 30-day trial. No credit card required.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.