Homemade mayonnaise

January 25, 2012

Homemade mayonnaise with spoon

Mayonnaise has completely lost its place as a homemade condiment – and what a pity that is!

Commercial mayonnaise might be convenient, but it’s totally devoid of flavor and bears no resemblance to the homemade kind.

Here’s a foolproof recipe (see the step-by-step photos and instructions) that will deliver a thick and flavorful mayonnaise. Once you’ve tasted it, you’ll never want to buy another jar of that whitish, bland substance again.

Homemade mayonnaise

makes 1 1/4 cups

1. 2 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
  2. 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (at room temperature)
  3. 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  5. 1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
  6. 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  7. 1 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic, red wine or sherry)

1. Step 1: Place yolks, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork until well blended. Let stand at room temperature for 2 minutes.
  2. Step 2: Place both oils in a measuring cup. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons worth of oil to the egg yolk mixture. Using an electric mixer, whisk at medium-high speed until well incorporated. Continue adding in the oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons at a time, and whisking until well incorporated. Repeat until the oils are used up. The mayonnaise will get thicker and thicker as you add more oil. Make sure to add only a small amount of oil at a time so that the mayonnaise can emulsify properly. If you add the oil too fast, your mayonnaise might fail – you won’t be able to get it to thicken and it will look more like a vinaigrette.
  3. Step 3: Add the vinegar and whisk until well blended. Transfer to a clean jar. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
  4. Cook’s note: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Lemon mayonnaise (Spanish alioli)
Omit the vinegar and replace with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 large garlic clove, crushed. Proceed with Step 3.

Pimentón mayonnaise (Spanish smoked paprika)
Make the Lemon mayonnaise above and stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons Pimentón Dulce (sweet Spanish smoked paprika – see link at the bottom of post).

Aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
Add 2 large garlic cloves, crushed (use a microplane grater) to the finished mayonnaise and whisk until well blended.

sauce, condiment, mayonnaise

Step-by-step

Place yolks, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.

Using an electric mixer, whisk at medium-high speed…

… until well incorporated.

Continue adding in the oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons at a time…

… and whisking until well incorporated. Repeat until the oils are used up. The mayonnaise will get thicker and thicker as you add more oil. Make sure to add only a small amount of oil at a time so that the mayonnaise can emulsify properly. If you add the oil too fast, your mayonnaise might fail – you won’t be able to get it to thicken and it will look more like a vinaigrette.

Add the vinegar…

… and whisk until well blended.

You end up with a thick, flavorful mayonnaise!

Pimenton dulce (sweet Spanish smoked paprika)
This is one of my favorite brands of pimentón. Deep, powerfully smoky and perfect to make the pimentón mayonnaise!

How about making your own crème fraîche… or ricotta?

© 2012 Viviane Bauquet Farre Food & Style NY LLC

El January 25, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Amen for this recipe. The last time I tried a version of this (from another blog) it failed miserably. Looking forward to trying yours. Looks great!

Viviane January 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Hi El! I’ve make this recipe my whole life, so I’m pretty confident it’ll work for you. I know how nerve wracking making mayonnaise can be – hence my posting step-by-step photos.

texmex January 26, 2012 at 2:19 am

I use mayonnaise once a month and therefor making your own makes sense.I hate the store boght glass jar, not to say the plastic bottle. But on the other side, I throw away the rest, because even with one egg there is always too much.

Viviane January 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Texmex, I know what you mean about always having too much mayo. I must say I always throw away some too… BUT that’s a small price to pay for delicious mayo.

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz January 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I made some one a long time ago and it is true it was spectacular compared to the store stuff. Looks beautiful.

Viviane January 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thank you Evelyne!

Janet@FCTC January 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Viviane, only YOU could manage to make mayonnaise look totally fantastic. :-D

veronica gantley January 28, 2012 at 6:44 am

I dont understand why people dont make their own mayo. It is so much better than the jar stuff!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) January 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

Any sandwich I eat must have mayo but I’ve never dared make my own. Your version is definitely more flavor-packed than others I’ve seen. Would love to try this sometime.

Anna January 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Who would have thought that making mayonnaise at home can be that easy? This is going to my to-make list! Thank you Viviane!

Kiri W. January 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm

My dad makes the best garlic mayonnaise, so I fully agree that nothing beats a homemade version :) Looks wonderful!

Angela January 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Lovely–and I agree it tastes completely different. Think I will whip some up tomorrow…

Sandra's Easy Cooking January 29, 2012 at 12:35 am

This sounds very good..my mom use to make it but I think it was little bit different, can’t remember what she was putting! Great post and recipe! Congrats on top 9!!!

Liz January 29, 2012 at 7:04 am

Oh, yeah…this is one gorgeous mayo!! So much better than what’s lurking in my fridge :)

Geraldine Saucier January 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I always wanted to try making my own mayo but I thought it would be difficult. Thanks for your recipe – I am going to try it.

Sudha January 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Hello Viviane,
My first time here and I stopped by from Foodbuzz to congratulate you for the Top 9:) There couldn’t have been a better time for me to stumble upon your recipe for homemade Mayo – my store-bought Mayo just got used up this afternoon! But it will not be on my grocery store list the next time – I’m going to give your recipe a try first – keeping my fingers crossed for that!Thanks a bunch for the details and so lovely meeting you.

denise January 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

how much does it make and how long will it last in the refrig

Viviane January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Hi Denise, Look at the recipe – all the info is there.

Elies_Lie January 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Ones again viviane, u makes me amaze and happy with ur homamade recipe to replace a store bought :)
Tq for sharing and congratz on the Foodbuzz top 9 #3 today!
ur step by step pic makes understand, yes, the mayo is getting thicker! ;)

Laurel @ Lolly's Sweet & Savory Treats January 30, 2012 at 7:57 am

Beautiful step by step pictures. I have never made homemade mayonnaise, but you have convinced me to give it a try!

Viviane January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

A huge thank you to all of you for the great comments on this post. I was off the grid yesterday, so I didn’t find out until today that my humble homemade mayonnaise made it to Foodbuzz Top 9 – Really thrilled!

Enjoy making your mayo… I know you’ll love it!

Donna Ford February 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Viviane, I love it! And it looks delicious. I’ll share this recipe with my mom. Thank you! :)

Steve @ the black peppercorn February 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

this is very similar to my homemade mayo/aioli. Nothing beats homemade. I my hand whisk and it kills my arm every time…. but I love it!!!

Viviane February 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hi Steve, My dad used to make his mayonnaise with a hand whisk too – always impressed me. I wish I had the muscles to make mine with a hand whisk too!

Cooking Lady February 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Homemade mayo does tast a lot better than store brand. And I love it real heavy on my sandwiches. Thanks for sharing maybe I’ll make some for the weekend.

Moe March 1, 2012 at 10:33 am

This looks really good, but how do you keep from getting sick from the raw eggs?
I may have to try this.
Thanks,
Moe

Jenni April 30, 2012 at 1:32 am

Yum yum yum! We’ve been making a lot of our foods homemade lately, we just had some woooonderful pitas that we made from scratch. This mayo is next on my list! =-)

Gina November 10, 2012 at 5:38 am

I’ve been living abroad for a few years and the mayonnaise that is available here (store bought) is a poor imitation of what is available at home. So I’ve decided to take things up a notch – down with store bought mayo all together!

Unfortunately, I’m a student and don’t have the money to buy kitchen gadgets at this time which is frustrating because I love to cook. Do you think this recipe would work if I whisked by hand the entire time instead of using the electric mixer? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Gina November 10, 2012 at 5:38 am

Ah, I should have read the previous comments before posting mine :)

Going to go test my forearm strength now!

Viviane November 11, 2012 at 11:14 am

Gina! I bet your mayonnaise will turn out perfect with a hand whisk! Do let me know how it went… The bonus: you get to spend the calories before you eat your mayo! Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.