It’s hard to resist potatoes. Puréed, boiled, baked, fried, roasted… no matter how you cook them, these humble roots always taste good.
But bake oven fries with cumin seeds and these spuds are not just good, they’re sublime. The cumin seeds, while roasting along with the potatoes, acquire a deep flavor and add a bit of crunch to each slice – making them addictive and dreamy!
Naturally, these oven fries are scrumptious on their own and make a versatile side dish. But for a little indulgence, or to enjoy them tapas-style, serve them with this lemony homemade mayonnaise.
Here’s to those humble spuds!
Two stunning sherries that are exquisite with tapas: Valdespino Inocente Fino Sherry and Deliciosa Manzanilla
active time: 15 min
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 kg) russet potatoes (4 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 large non-stick jellyroll pan
- Preheat oven to 475ºF (246ºC).
- Step 1: Scrub the potatoes but do not peel them. Cut lengthwise in 1/2” wedges.
- Step 2: Place the potato slices on the jellyroll pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Toss well then spread the slices in a single layer, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes until tender. Remove aluminum foil, flip over each slice. Return tray to oven and continue baking uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until golden-brown. Remove from oven and serve piping hot, with the mayonnaise on the side if desired.
Free 30-day trial. No credit card required.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.