Food styling: Appetizer spoons make for striking and tasty morsels!

June 4, 2012

Almost anything can be served in these stylish appetizer spoons: a mouthful of chilled soup, creamy ricotta topped with seasonal veggies and a drizzle of olive oil, or, as in these photographs, a lovely cucumber and avocado ceviche.

No matter the occasion, these appetizer spoons will make for a gorgeous spread.

Here are five recipes that are perfect for the spoons (click on the titles below to get the recipes):

Cucumber and avocado ceviche
As featured in the above photographs. Cut the cucumber, avocado and tomato in 1/8″ cubes. Place a small amount in each appetizer spoon, drizzle with a little vinaigrette and garnish with a cilantro or parsley leaf (the latter has a bit more staying power!).

Cucumber linguini with fresh mint and fried capers
Place a small amount of the cucumber linguini in each spoon. Top with a tomato half and a few capers.

Chilled cucumber soup with yogurt and fresh mint
Pour a small amount of the soup in each spoon. Garnish with a few tomato cubes and drizzle with a couple drops of olive oil (a squeeze bottle is perfect for that job!).

Roasted asparagus with burrata, Tahitian lime oil and sorrel chiffonade
Place a small amount of the creamy burrata cheese in each spoon. Top with an asparagus tip. garnish with a few strips of the sorrel chiffonade and drizzle with a couple drops of the lime-infused oil – absolutely scrumptious!

Strawberry sorbet with Grand Marnier
What about serving a refreshing nibble for a change? Place small scoops of sorbet in the spoons. Garnish with a thin slice of strawberry and a tiny mint leaf, or a few strips of mint leaves cut en chiffonade.

For another food styling idea check out: Black bean soup – casual to super-chic.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family July 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Beautiful!

I just saw some appetizer spoons at Pier 1 and had to hold myself back from some of these.

I absolutely love your photos!

Viviane July 29, 2011 at 1:55 am

Thank you Rachel!

Deborah Dowd July 28, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love these spoons- such a elegant and fun way to serve a delicious tidbit!

Maria July 28, 2011 at 10:13 am

Look so fresh!
Enjoy Cooking!

Adora's Box July 28, 2011 at 10:51 am

Stunning indeed! It is so cool that each one fits one serving.

El July 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Gorgeous! I love the fresh vibrant colors and the food combinations are sensational.

Viviane July 29, 2011 at 1:56 am

Thank you El – You’re wonderful as usual!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar July 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

So pretty! I have never been one for trends but this one. that seems to be all over in the restaurant world is one I love… such a neat way to serve apps.

Viviane @ Taste-Buds July 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I always had a thing for these little spoons! I never tried to make them, but they do sound fun! They would be perfect for a party.

Viviane July 29, 2011 at 2:00 am

Rachel, Deborah, Maria, Andora’s Box, El, Janet, Viviane (Oh… we share the same name… and the same spelling!)… Thank you all for your comments. I’ve been serving appetizers in spoons for some years now, but this tray is truly stunning and has become a favorite. I only wish I could buy more spoons because I’m finding that I’m constantly refilling them.. Still, they’re well worth the effort.

Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 3:07 am

Beautiful! I agree with you that food looks more interesting in small bites like these and I frequently use ceramic chinese soup spoons to present my appetizers (or even my ingredients for a dish on my blog).

Jennifer Eloff July 29, 2011 at 7:37 am

Viviane, those spoons are a very cute idea and a real talking point. Nice appetizer ideas too.

Sandra July 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I adore this presentation, what a striking picture!

Viviane August 1, 2011 at 2:16 am

Thank you so very much Sandra!

Peachie August 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I love these spoons! I need to get myself some!! Your pics are stunning!!

Russell at Chasing Delicious August 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Lovely! And I am loving this section of your blog, so many great tips and ideas!

Viviane September 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

Thank you Russell! This part of the site is still a work in progress… But I’m loving working on it. Very glad you liked it!

Sandi G September 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Beautiful! Look forward to learning from you :)

The Attic March 5, 2012 at 8:23 am

I’ve never seen little spoons like these before, where can I get them?? I seriously like the look of the avocado thing too. This makes me want to throw a party!

Viviane March 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

The Attic, here’s where you can buy the spoons: http://www.westelm.com/products/bamboo-porcelain-appetizer-spoon-tray-e470/?pkey=ctableware Enjoy them… they are great fun!

balvinder ( Neetu) June 11, 2012 at 10:09 am

I just love your recipes and presentation. Vivian you have chosen a perfect name for your blog.
The options you have given for these styling spoons are all workable. We do have some small gathering where I make appetizers like these especially for men.
Rachel mentioned that she saw these spoons at Pier1. I am going to get these today,

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Balvinder, Thank you so much for stopping by and for your wonderful comment – truly warmed my heart! You can get these spoons at West Elm and I’ve seen similar appetizer spoons at Crate & Barrel. Good luck finding the right ones for your parties… Cheers!

Cucina49 June 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Viviane, as always I am in awe of your photography and photo styling skills! I have always wanted a set of these spoons–I recently saw one in Italy and should have bought them.

Viviane June 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Cucina49! Thank you so much for your kind words – You are too kind! And I will say these spoons are great fun… I hope you get yourself a set and play with them soon. Have a great weekend my dear!

Cakewhiz June 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm

This is a great idea… Maybe i can do something like this with desserts like have a different sweet creations in each spoon….

Viviane June 16, 2012 at 8:11 am

Cakewhiz… Absolutely, something sweet in these spoons would be perfect… Chilled strawberry soup perhaps?

Mary June 16, 2012 at 2:43 am

Viviane,
I do love the spoons but do not know how one actually uses them when dining.
Are they one bite, or does one empty the contents into the mouth in two or three bites?
Thanks,
I do love your newsletter and have shared it with others here in California
Mary

Viviane June 16, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi Mary, the appetizer spoons are meant to be only one or two bites, and yes, you empty the content in your mouth. I have several different kinds of these spoons. Some are deep (two bites) and some are shallow (one bite). Either way, I use them for hors d’oeuvres, not during dinner. I also have several sets of these spoons so that I can refill the tray without having to wash the spoons. It saves time when I have guests over. Thank you so much for passing my newsletter along to your friends. I am most grateful to you! wishing you a beautiful and delicious weekend…

Lori Lynn June 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

I really like the idea of serving linguini in a spoon.
Great ideas here Viviane!
Love your avocado tartine with vinaigrette too.
LL

Viviane June 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thank you Lori Lynn!

Liz June 23, 2012 at 7:11 am

Stunning photos! And I think I could eat all those spoonfuls of cucumber and avocado ceviche…it sounds incredible. Have a wonderful weekend~

Viviane June 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

Thank you so much Liz! Have fantastic weekend too my dear…

Deb July 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

What a tempting way to feature and savor a special ingredient or recipe. This would be great fun for sensational mini desserts as well as appetizers. I can envision a pairing of seasonal summer fruit and chocolate. What a compelling idea!

Viviane July 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thank you Deb, I’m so glad this post provided a little inspiration!

Eftychia July 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I love your site. The recipes are soooo GOOD and the way you present the dishes is excellent!