Strawberry Cosmopolitan with ginger liqueur and rhubarb bitters

June 4, 2012

Food and Style - Strawberry Cosmopolitan with Ginger Liqueur and Rhubarb Bitters

Locally grown strawberries, whether from your own backyard or a small farm, bear no resemblance to their commercial counterparts. They’re usually small and imbued with a dense crimson color through their core – and they’re tiny bombshells of flavor. No wonder children and adults alike get addicted to the fetching berries.

When strawberry season is in full swing, why not think beyond cobblers, sorbets or jams – as delicious as they are – and treat yourself to this ambrosial Cosmopolitan? The ginger liqueur and rhubarb bitters make it a sophisticated and multi-layered cocktail that will satisfy both the strawberry-loving-child and the grown-up in you.

Cheers!

Hand-picked strawberries

Strawberry Cosmopolitan with Ginger Liqueur and Rhubarb Bitters

For the strawberry purée

1. 8 oz (225 g) very ripe strawberries
  2. 4 leaves fresh mint
  3. 2 teaspoons lemon juice

For the cocktails

1. 3 oz (90 ml) vodka
  2. 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
  3. 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) strawberry purée (see Step 1)
  4. 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) lemon juice
  5. 2 dashes rhubarb bitters
  1. small strawberries as garnish

1. Step 1: Place the strawberries, mint and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Process until liquidy, about 1 minute. Transfer to a fine sieve suspended over a bowl. With a silicone spatula, stir the purée until all the juices have been strained and only the seeds are left behind. Discard seeds. (You should have 6 oz (175 ml) of purée – enough to make 8 Cosmopolitans.) Transfer purée into a squeeze bottle or sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
  2. Step 2: To make the cocktails – Pour the vodka, liqueur, strawberry purée, lemon juice and bitters in a shaker filled two-thirds of the way with large ice cubes. Shake until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with a small strawberry and serve immediately.

Get hundreds more recipes, with step-by-step videos — plus 30 days’ free membership to Food & Style Club, Viviane’s beautiful interactive cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

cocktail, cosmopolitan, strawberry

Fee Brothers Rhubarb Cocktail Bitters
These aromatic bitters are an indispensable touch for today’s Cosmopolitan.

Here’s another super-delicious Cosmo with summer berries: Blackberry Cosmopolitan with orange bitters.

© 2012 Viviane Bauquet Farre Food & Style NY LLC

Toni @ Boulder Locavore June 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hi Viviane! I actually am going strawberry picking today. It is the last day of the short June season here (to return for a longer time in August) and I love this recipe as a way to celebrate! I completely agree about freshly picked berries and store purchased berries. After having fresh berries I really can’t take those from the store. Hope all is well with you!

Viviane June 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hi Toni! It’s lovely to hear from you! We picked twenty lbs of strawberries last Sunday… I’ll be making all kinds of concoctions with them today, including this Cosmo! I actually do not purchase any store bought strawberries for the rest of the year… But thankfully our local strawberry season last more than a month here in NY. Cheers my dear and happy picking!

sonia June 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hi There, Wow…this recipe is looking so Appetizing. A very well made post with beautiful pictures. I can’t wait to try it on my island. Have a wonderful week ahead. Thanks & Regards, Sonia !!!

Viviane June 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Sonia! I hope you can find local strawberries on your island… Wishing you a wonderful and delicious week… Cheers!

Kiri W. June 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Wow, now that is an avant garde cosmopolitan! I always love strawberry and rhubarb, why not in liquid form? :)

Viviane June 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Kiri! Yes… Let’s sip our strawberries!

Suzi June 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I can already envision sitting out on the patio watching the sun go down with one of these refreshing cocktails. I’ve never tried a ginger liqueur but I like tthe idea of this combination of flavors. I just may have to try this. Lovely Viviane.

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Suzi! So sorry for this late reply and thank you so much for your lovely note. I think you would love ginger liqueur – very aromatic! Patio, sunset and strawberry Cosmo? I’m in!

Steph@stephsbitebybite June 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This sounds so incredible!! Ginger liqueur! Whoa!

Cucina49 June 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’ve never seen rhubarb bitters before, but I’m intrigued. What a great-looking summer cocktail!

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thank you Cucina49!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. June 6, 2012 at 1:00 am

What a beautiful drink this is!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen cocktail bitters!

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Stephanie, cocktail bitters are one of the greatest little flavor boosters one can get. I hope you try them soon. Cheers!

CCU June 6, 2012 at 2:01 am

This cocktail looks like summer heaven! Stunning colour :D

Cheers
CCU

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm

CCU, thank you so much! Raising a glass to you my dear!

Anita at Hungry Couple June 6, 2012 at 11:08 am

Very nice! I posted a strawberry martini a couple of weeks ago but never thought to add ginger liqueur to it. I’ll have to give that a try.

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Anita, thank you for stopping by and for your note… I know you’ll love ginger liqueur!

Steve @ the black peppercorn June 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

strawberry season here is usually around Father`s Day. I remember growing up and my dad would take me out with my brother on Fathers Day to pick strawberries. I continued that tradition with my kids. It is a wonderful bonding time!! This drink looks incredible Viviane. But you always impress!

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Steve, so sorry for this late reply… What a lovely family tradition! I wish you and your kids happy strawberry picking then… It should be coming right up! And thank you for your kind words. You make me turn “strawberry-red”… Cheers to you Steve!

April June 8, 2012 at 10:25 am

What a delicious, sophisticated looking cocktail! I have never picked my own berries but I obviously need to get aboard that train.

Viviane June 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm

April, The pick-your-own-strawberry train offers a most fun and delicious ride…. I hope you get to try it sometimes soon! Thank you for your note…

mjskit June 12, 2012 at 1:06 am

This looks SO GOOD!!! I didn’t know there was such as thing as rhubarb bitters, but now that I know, I have to find it! What a fabulous cocktail!

Viviane June 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

MJ! Thank you for your kind words… You can find rhubarb bitters online or at gourmet stores. They’re worth the hunt – Cincin!

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz June 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Very intriguing cocktail, especially the rhubarb bitters, never heard of it before. This looks refreshing for summertime after a long day at work.

Jill~a SaucyCook June 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Oh Viviane, how have I stayed away from your most beautiful blog for so long? Your photography belongs at a gallery exhibit, your recipes are always fresh and unique….I think I’ll just kick back, wander around and sip one of these luscious cocktails while I visit!

Viviane June 15, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Jill! Thank you so much for your kind words – You truly made my day! I must say though, that the photography is a work in progress and probably always will be. Looking forward to perusing through your blog too – which I will do very soon! Have a great weekend… and Cheers!

Angie@Angie's Recipes June 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm

This is really really really pretty and delightful!

Viviane June 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thank you Angie!

Heidi-Young Grasshopper June 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

wow! looks great :)

torviewtoronto and createwithmom June 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

colourful presentation looks wonderful

angela@spinachtiger June 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

We have a strawberry pick your own farm near Nashville. They grow three different kinds, so there are some that are very large, but soooo sweet. I managed to leave with 12 pounds. Some are still in the freezer and I’m pinning this drink because I sure would love to be a guest at one of your parties if this is how it starts.

Jill~a SaucyCook July 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

Just to be clear Vivanne, I am available for cocktails at your place ANYTIME!! These look so delicious and refreshing!! I haven’t been strawberry picking for years, but I remember taking my kids when they were small and we lived in Connecticut. I always felt the farmers could have garnered far more revenue by weighing people in and out!!!

Cakewhiz July 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Wow! This drink is just an explosion of fruity flavors. I don’t drink vodka but i am sure my friends would love it if i made this for them :D

Amy @ fragrantvanillacake July 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love this drink! Fresh strawberries in a drink are so delicious! Would love one right now, it is past noon, right? :)

Viviane July 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Indeed Amy! Raising a glass to you my dear…