Locally grown strawberries, whether from your own backyard or a small farm, bear no resemblance to their commercial counterparts. They’re usually small and imbued with a dense crimson color through their core – and they’re tiny bombshells of flavor. No wonder children and adults alike get addicted to the fetching berries.
When strawberry season is in full swing, why not think beyond cobblers, sorbets or jams – as delicious as they are – and treat yourself to this ambrosial Cosmopolitan? The ginger liqueur and rhubarb bitters make it a sophisticated and multi-layered cocktail that will satisfy both the strawberry-loving-child and the grown-up in you.
Strawberry Cosmopolitan with Ginger Liqueur and Rhubarb Bitters
active time: 15 min
For the strawberry purée
- 8 oz (227gr) very ripe strawberries
- 4 leaves fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the cocktails
- 3 oz (89ml) vodka
- 1 1/2 oz (44ml) Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz (44ml) strawberry purée (see Step 1)
- 1 1/2 oz (44ml) lemon juice
- 2 dashes rhubarb bitters
- small strawberries as garnish
- Step 1: Place the strawberries, mint and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Process until liquidy, about 1 minute. Transfer to a fine sieve suspended over a bowl. With a silicone spatula, stir the purée until all the juices have been strained and only the seeds are left behind. Discard seeds. (You should have 6 oz (177ml) of purée – enough to make 8 Cosmopolitans.) Transfer purée into a squeeze bottle or sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days.
- Step 2: To make the cocktails – Pour the vodka, liqueur, strawberry purée, lemon juice and bitters in a shaker filled two-thirds of the way with large ice cubes. Shake until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with a small strawberry and serve immediately.
Free 30-day trial. No credit card required.
Food & Style Club is Viviane’s new interactive, multimedia cookbook you can make your own. Get exclusive new recipes weekly, add your own recipes, peruse wine notes—even chat directly with Viviane. It’s a cooking class built into every recipe!
Fee Brothers Rhubarb Cocktail Bitters
These aromatic bitters are an indispensable touch for today’s Cosmopolitan.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.