Smoked provolone panini with tomato, avocado and basil

September 20, 2012

Smoked provolone panini with tomato, avocado and basil

I don’t know why, but I’ve always found the taste of smoked cheese to be absolutely enchanting. So, I’m always dreaming up recipes where I can use this favorite food.

This is why smoky provolone found its way into today’s panini.

Smoked provolone is not as potent as some other smoked cheeses (like smoked Gouda for example). Its delicate smokiness is incredibly pleasing. And it doesn’t overwhelm the other ingredients in this sandwich: the balance of flavors is just right.

As the panini cook and the provolone softens, the tangy tomato and creamy avocado are permeated with its delicious smoky flavor, making every bite addictive.

So, if your panini press has been collecting dust in your pantry, it’s time to dust it off and put it to work… your taste buds will thank you for it!

Avocados

Smoked provolone panini with tomato, avocado and basil

1. 2 – 10” long ciabatta rolls (or 4 – 5” long) – cut in half lengthwise
  2. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  3. 8 oz (225 g) smoked provolone, cheddar or gruyère – cut in 1/8” slices (use a mandoline or box grater)
  4. 2 medium, ripe tomatoes – cut in thin slices
  5. 1 large, ripe but still firm avocado – halved, pit removed, and cut in thin slices
  6. sea salt to taste
  8. 12 medium basil leaves

1. Step 1: Brush the cut side of the bread with olive oil. Spread half of the cheese slices on two bread slices. Top each slice with the tomato, then the avocado slices. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the basil leaves, the balance of the cheese slices and the remaining slices of bread. Press together firmly to seal the sandwiches.
  2. Step 2: Pre-heat a panini press to medium-high to high heat. When the press is ready, place the panini on the bottom griddle and lower the top griddle down gently at first so that the fillings don’t slide out. As the panini cook, you’ll be able to press the top griddle down a bit more firmly. Cook the panini for 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese has softened and the tops are golden. Remove panini from the press. Cut in half so that you have 4 panini, and serve immediately while still piping hot.
  3. Cook’s note 1: Provolone is not a cheese that melts easily, so it will only soften as you cook the panini. If however you are using gruyère or cheddar, these cheeses will melt quickly.
  4. Cook’s note 2: If you do not own a panini press, you can make these sandwiches with ciabatta slices instead of rolls. Brush the tops and bottoms of the sandwiches with olive oil and cook them in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden-brown and the cheese has melted.

Get hundreds more recipes, with step-by-step videos — plus 30 days’ free membership to Food & Style Club, Viviane’s beautiful interactive cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

Smoked provolone panini with tomato, avocado and basil

How about another mouthwatering sandwich? Grilled cheese sandwich with garlic confit and baby arugula.

sandwich, panini, smoked provolone
© 2012 Viviane Bauquet Farre Food & Style NY LLC

Anita at Hungry Couple September 21, 2012 at 8:20 am

I also like smoked cheese and the flavor combo in these paninis sounds amazing!

Viviane September 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thank you Anita!

Lori Lynn September 21, 2012 at 11:14 am

I vote for smoked cheese too. The sandwich looks perfect.
LL

El September 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

You make the best recipes. Of course, I’m reading this at lunch time so I want to run out and buy all of the ingredients. It looks amazing.

Viviane September 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thank you El… You are so sweet!

Balvinder September 22, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Hi Vivian, I have never tried smoked cheese, so I can only imagine the taste. Avocado, basil and tomato simply the best. I may just have to make it for myself.

Viviane September 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Thank you Balvinder! A little warning: smoked cheese is really addictive! :-)

Angie@Angie's Recipes September 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Can you believe that I have never had smoked cheese…well, I could have, but can’t remember how it tastes, so I must have not tried it before. The sandwich looks super!

Viviane September 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Angie! You are such a gourmande that I have no doubt you will adore smoked cheeses. There are quite a few for you to taste too! Bon appétit my dear…

angela@spinachtiger September 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm

This is a sandwich that would find its way to our home. My husband loves provolone and he loves smoked food, so this would be right for him. Thanks Vivane.

Sandra's Easy Cooking September 25, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Oh I defiantly agree with you on the cheese matter. I love smoked cheese and your panini is perfect for my busy household. I might even make it for my kids lunch boxes.
I hope you are doing well! Enjoy your week!

lisaiscooking September 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I’m a fan of smoked cheese too, and the provolone sounds delicious with the avocado. I do need to dust off my panini press!

Viviane September 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Lisa… Here’s to dusting off our panini press! Mine tends to collect dust now and then too… Ah!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) September 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

What a delicious sandwich!!

Liz September 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm

So lovely! You took ordinary ingredients and layered them to form and extraordinary sandwich…just delicious~

Ansh September 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

You have magic in your hands! The sandwich looks so delicious. I hope you are enjoying the Fall weather.

Parsley Sage September 29, 2012 at 5:14 am

De-lish! I’m so glad to see this panini! I’m gonna keep an eye out for some smoked provolone in the grocers, for sure. It sounds awesome with some super yummy avocado :)

Deb September 29, 2012 at 11:34 am

Adore the sublime pairing of smoked provolone with sweet tomatoes and creamy avocados! An enticing combination for a charming panini. My family would adore this served with a steaming hot bowl of soup on a chilly autumn evening.

Carmen September 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Magnifique! I can tell this recipe is going to be a worthy sister of the garlic confit & arugula grilled cheese. I’ll bet that the smoked cheese panini takes on another life with the basil & it is going to be the staple of my new fall season, low-key, close friends dinners. I’ll report back. Don’t know how you could top the confit-arugula triumph but I’ll bet you do.

Jenn and Seth September 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

this is such a timely post for me – i have some leftover smoked cheese in the fridge that needs a home, these look so delicious!

Donna Ford September 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Looks so good Viviane. Beautiful photo. I will make some soon! Thank you :)

mjskit September 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Another fan of smoked cheeses! There is a local company that makes a mean smoked provolone. I’m going to have to pick some up and make me this delicious looking panini! Your choice of ciabatta rolls was perfect!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) October 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I love a good smoked cheese, too. This is the kind of sandwich I would eat and not tire of. I love the perfectly uniform slices of avocado, tomatoes and cheese and the cross section shot. :)

foodwanderings October 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Viviane, It is nearing 10pm and I am craving smoked provolone. I haven’t had smoked cheese in such a long time and I can see how provolone wouldn’t be as potent as others. Delicious looking panini I wish to make for lunch tomorrow.

Denise October 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This sounds so delicious. I love smoked cheese, too! You have such a gift of combining simple, fresh foods and creating delightful dishes!