Kir Royal

November 19, 2012

Kir Royal – the ultimate elegant cocktail – evokes thoughts of Paris and grand festivities (at least to me!). And why shouldn’t it? After all, the main ingredient in this sublime cocktail is Champagne and most of us don’t sip Champagne every day. We save it for special occasions. And that’s a good thing; it gives us a chance to really savor this supreme beverage without taking it for granted.

To make this famed cocktail even more tantalizing, I use Chambord liqueur instead of the traditional Crème de Cassis. The raspberry liqueur has a delicate and sophisticated flavor that’s irresistible with a good sparkler. For a bit of fun, I top the drinks with frozen raspberries. The berries end up floating at the top of the drink, turning into cheerful raspberry ice cubes!

Next time you’re thinking of pouring a festive drink for friends, give this Kir Royal a try. It’s easy to mix, gorgeous to look at and quite delicious to the taste buds.

Cheers!

Lemon twists

Kir Royal

1. 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
  2. 6 lemon twists
  3. 3 oz (89ml) Chambord or raspberry liqueur
  4. 1 bottle Champagne or sparkling wine – very well chilled

1. Step 1: Rinse the raspberries and drain on paper towels. Once dry, place in a single layer on a tray lined with wax paper and freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving.
  2. Step 2: Place a lemon twist in each Champagne flute. Pour a 1/2 ounce (15ml) of liqueur in each flute. Top with the Champagne or sparkling wine. Garnish with 2 or 3 frozen berries and a twist of lemon. Serve immediately.

Get hundreds more recipes, with step-by-step videos — plus 30 days’ free membership to Food & Style Club, Viviane’s beautiful interactive cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

Kir Royal-cropped

This Pear Bellini is another festive and delicious cocktail!

cocktail, kir royal, champagne
© 2012 Viviane Bauquet Farre Food & Style NY LLC

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz November 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

It’s almost five…I need one after work :- A beautiful classic and the Chambord is a great twist.

Viviane November 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Evelyn… Raising a glass to you!

Angie@Angie's Recipes November 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I too would love one!
Wish you a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving!

Viviane November 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

Angie… thank you! I hope your Thanksgiving was a wonderful one, and I know for sure it was delicious!

Jean November 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Dear Vivane I wish you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
I just made some pate for the American Embassy here in Malta. lol
My friend works there.. She needed to take an offering.. and cannot cook. lol!

I loved those lemon twists..How do you cut those please? They look so nice!

Lots of warm wishes to you. x

Jean ( sashina)

Viviane November 27, 2012 at 10:45 am

Jean! Thank you for your sweet note and for always bringing a ray of sunshine through your words and warm spirit. Your friend is lucky to have you! As for the lemon twists, peel the lemon with a vegetable hand-peeler. Then cut the peel in 1/4″ strips. Cut both ends on the diagonal and then twist them with your fingers and hold them for a few seconds. They’ll retain the lovely shape. raising a glass to you my dear… And many thanks for your lovely wishes!

Vespa Woolf November 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

What could be more elegant than a pink champagne cocktail? Even Deborah Kerr from “An Affair to Remember” can attest to that! Thank you. I look forward to trying it. Your photographs are gorgeous.

Viviane November 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thank you so much Vespa… Raising a “pink” glass to you!

Cucina49 November 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I remember the first time I had a Kir Royal in Paris a couple of years ago. Your’re right, it is so elegant! Lovely photo and a perfect post for this time of year.

Viviane November 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thank you so much Cucina 49… Wishing you and yours “bubbly” holidays!

cakewhiz December 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

elegant is truly the right word! the color is beautiful and the garnish with that swirly lemon peel is a great final touch :)

Viviane December 18, 2012 at 9:15 am

Thank you Cakewhiz… Raising a glass of bubbly to you and yours for the holidays!