Potato-Parmesan gnocchi

May 2, 2013

Potato-Parmesan gnocchi

These potato gnocchi have nothing in common with the store-bought stuff – they’re light (very light!), they melt in your mouth, and they don’t make you feel like you just ate a brick. In fact, my dear friend Kim Caldwell has named them “pillows”.

I still remember the time I worked on this recipe, over 20 years ago now. I experimented with the proportions tirelessly, until the gnocchi came out as light as they could possibly be. As you probably know, it takes a bit of work to achieve this: if the dough is too light, the gnocchi literally explode in the pan when you boil them – a devastating sight!

But have no fear: I’ve made this recipe countless times and can vouch for the results. So if you follow the instructions and video clips, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to make gnocchi that are indeed as light as pillows!

Reggiano Parmesan

Get this recipe, along with step-by-step videos, now! Plus 30 days’ free membership to Food & Style Club, Viviane’s beautiful interactive cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

Potato-Parmesan gnocchi

Take a bite: Potato-Parmesan gnocchi with morels and asparagus

ATasteOfMadness May 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm

For some reason I have never tried gnocchi, store bought or not. I think I should skip the store bought and try these “pillows” ;) They look fantastic!

Viviane May 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

Cathleen! Skipping the store bought gnocchi is an excellent idea… Plus they’re great fun to make. Buon appetito!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) May 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

Mmmm this gnocchi looks incredible

JenC May 4, 2013 at 7:14 am

This is great, I learned how to make gnocchi in Italy but using your approach and videos, I feel that I made fantastic light tasting gnocchi, plus the asparagus pesto made a wonderful early summer combo.

Viviane May 4, 2013 at 10:06 am

Dear JenC, I am delighted to hear this good news… Thank you so much for letting me know. Wishing you a delicious weekend!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I need to learn how to make gnocchi. This looks so delish!

Anita at Hungry Couple May 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm

When I see gnocchi on a menu, it’s a sure bet that I’ll be ordering them. I’ve tried the packaged kind but find them not worth it. I’ve also tried making them at home. Tasty but very hard and messy work which tells me I probably didn’t do it right and I need lots more practice. :)

Viviane May 11, 2013 at 9:03 am

Anita! I hope you try your hand at making gnocchi again… Once you get the hang of it, they are absolutely marvelous. Bon appétit!