Soupe au Pistou (Provençal vegetable soup with basil sauce)

September 12, 2013

Soupe au Pistou-Provençal vegetable soup with basil sauce

Soupe au pistou is the Provençal version of minestrone. And like its Italian cousin, it looks (and tastes) like an entire vegetable patch landed in your bowl! Indeed, there are very few dishes with such exuberant aromas and colors – every spoonful infused with the flavors of the sun-drenched Provençal country side.

This is the perfect dish to make at the end of summer or early fall, when the days are still warm but the nights are cool. Plus, it’s the time of the year when summer veggies are at their peak! The rich vegetable soup is made even more luxurious with a spoonful of a fragrant pistou (a basil sauce similar to pesto, but without the nuts and the cheese) and a sprinkle of two pungent cheeses.

So satisfying is this soup that you can easily make a meal out of it. Bon appétit!

Enjoy this bite-sized demo!

Get this recipe, along with step-by-step videos, now! Plus 30 days’ free membership to Food & Style Club, Viviane’s beautiful interactive cookbook. No credit card required.

Already a Club member? Get your recipe here.

Cranberry beans

Here’s another superb vegetable soup: Winter vegetable minestrone with cannellini beans and farro

Angie@Angie's Recipes September 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Glad that the soup season arrives..your vegetable soup looks warming and very tasty.

Viviane September 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Thank you, Angie!

mjskit September 12, 2013 at 11:32 pm

YAY! It’s soup time! Our temperatures dropped into the 70′s this week and soup is was. :) Love this soupe Pistou! Very hearty, healthy and who could resist all of that pesto.

Viviane September 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Mj, I’m a bit sad to see the summer weather recede, so I had to make up for it! Happy soup making… and eating

Asmita September 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

This soup looks so comforting and delicious!

Viviane September 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Thank you, Asmita… “Delicious and comforting” it is!

bev b September 29, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Summer vegetables’ last delicious hurrah–this soup gives me a reason to welcome Fall. I supplemented the vegetable stock recipe with shitake bits and pieces that made a substantial but delicate broth. The garlicky pistou was its perfect counterpunch. I am keeping this recipe!

Viviane September 30, 2013 at 10:56 am

Bev! Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. You have no idea how delighted I am that you enjoyed this soup. Like you, I need a “delicious” reason to welcome fall! This soup always does it for me. And I hope you got to make it with veggies from your own garden. So… happy fall, and happy soup making!