Here’s a sandwich that’s easy to assemble, healthy and quite spunky! Indeed, the pickled shallots bring a marvelous contrast to the creamy avocado hummus and the hefty whole-wheat pitas (which I love to use for this sandwich). Drizzled with avocado oil and dotted with baby spinach leaves, this sandwich is downright addictive.
Enjoy this bite-sized demo!
Open-face Avocado Hummus Sandwich with Pickled Shallots and Baby Spinach
active time: 15 min
- 4 whole-wheat or regular pitas
- 1 recipe Avocado hummus with toasted coriander and avocado oil
- avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil) for drizzling
- 2/3 cup Pickled shallots with fresh thyme
- 3 oz (85 g) baby spinach (1 large handful)
- Heat a griddle or panini press to high heat. Grill the pitas until grill marks appear. Place each pita in the center of a large plate. Top with 1/2 cup of avocado hummus and spread it evenly over the whole surface of the pita. Sprinkle with the toasted coriander and drizzle with a little avocado oil. Dot with the pickled shallots, top with the baby spinach and serve immediately, while the pita is still warm.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.