This smoothie is all about the marvelous flavor of ripe apricots. The roasted almonds and almond milk add a nutty flavor to the drink, without making it rich… and the lemon balm infuses it with its delicate herbal essence.
The smoothie is refreshing, light and incredibly delicious – perfect for breakfast or as a pick-me-up on a warm summer day.
Apricot Smoothie with Almond Milk and Lemon Balm
makes 32 oz (95 cl) or serves 4
active time: 10 min
- 1 lb (455 g) ripe apricots (about 6 medium) – pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (use a microplane grater)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 large leaves lemon balm (or fresh mint)
- 1 1/4 cups (295 ml) unsweetened almond milk – chilled
- 8 large ice cubes – crushed
- lemon balm sprigs (or mint sprigs) as garnish
- Place the apricots, almonds and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Add the lemon zest, honey, lemon balm, almond milk and crushed ice and process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into glasses, garnish with the lemon balm sprigs and serve.
To crush the ice cubes, place them in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin – it makes the job easy and mess-free.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.