This salad is the essence of summer: crisp greens tossed with a zingy, fresh tomato vinaigrette, garnished with sweet corn and served with grilled zucchini skewers.
It’s the kind of summer salad – fresh, simple, light, and hugely flavorful – that you can eat every day, and yet always want more of. It satisfies the taste buds while satiating the appetite.
Food & wine pairing: Bandol, dry rosé with grilled zucchini salad
I recommend a dry rosé with this bold salad. Try a rosé from Bandol, the tiny region at the most southern tip of Provence. The wines are made with a blend of grapes, with Mourvèdre at its core. Mourvèdre produces small, sweet, dark, thick-skinned berries that deliver plenty of flavor and complexity. As a result, the crisp, mineral wines of Bandol are some of the most luscious rosés produced in France.
Boston lettuce and corn salad with grilled zucchini skewers and tomato vinaigrette
active time: 30 min
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 2 baby zucchinis (8″ long)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large Boston lettuce (1 lb) (455 g) – thoroughly rinsed, spin-dried, leaves torn in 2″ pieces
- 1 recipe fresh tomato vinaigrette
- Step 1: Grill the corn as per this recipe, or shuck the ears and boil the cobs in a large pot of salted water for 2 minutes. When the corn is cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cob with a serrated knife. Set aside.
- Step 2: Trim both ends of the zucchinis, quarter each zucchini lengthwise and cut in 1/2″ pieces. Place the pieces in a large bowl. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the salt. Toss well with your hands until the pieces are well coated with the oil. Thread 4 pieces on a bamboo skewer. Repeat until all the pieces have been used. You should have 12 skewers.
- Step 3: Pre-heat gas or electric grill or griddle to high heat. Grill the zucchini until charred. Remove from grill or griddle and place on a tray to cool slightly.
- Step 4: Place the salad pieces in a large bowl. Toss with two-thirds of the vinaigrette. Spoon the salad in bowls. Sprinkle with the corn kernels. Top each salad with 3 grilled zucchini skewers. Serve with the balance of the vinaigrette on the side to drizzle on top of the grilled zucchini.
- Tear the lettuce leaves with your fingers rather than cutting them with a knife. It’ll prevent the edges from getting brown. For a more refined salad, discard the tough center ribs.