Chocolate brownies might be every child’s favorite food, but these brownies will please both the children and the adults in your household. The irresistible morsels are not-too-sweet, intensely chocolaty and as moist as brownies could ever be!
Served with a dusting of powdered sugar, the brownies look so tempting that there won’t be a crumb left.
Dark chocolate brownies
serves 4 to 6
active time: 30 min
- 12 oz (340 g) semisweet chocolate (preferably Callebaut, Scharffen Berger or Valhrona) – cut in 1/2″ chunks
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder – sifted
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (4 oz) (115 g) – at room temperature
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- large pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 extra large eggs – at room temperature
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 9″ square cake pan – buttered, lined with wax paper, then buttered and floured
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Step 1: Melt two thirds of the chocolate (8 oz) (225 g) in a double boiler over gently simmering water, stirring continuously until smooth. Set aside. Place the balance of the chocolate (4 oz) (115 g) in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Step 2: Place the flour, cocoa powder and chocolate pieces in a small bowl and stir until well blended. Place the soft butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip at low speed until the mixture is creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and whip each one in until well incorporated. Then continue whipping until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the melted chocolate, being careful not to overmix. Then gently fold in the flour mixture. Spread the batter into the prepared mold. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until almost set. The brownie should have risen on the sides, but still be moist in the center. Transfer to a rack and let cool to room temperature. Lift the brownie from the mold and remove the wax paper. Cut in 9 even squares, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- Cook’s note: The brownies are best eaten the day they’re baked. Keep at room temperature, in the mold, until ready to serve.