Farro with pan-roasted Brussels sprouts & pistachios A super-delicious & healthy farro side dish – the Brussels burst with flavor!
Dress up your Brussels sprouts with earth and crunch
Here’s a dish that’s as healthy as it is scrumptious! Brussels sprouts are pan-roasted until they become deeply flavorful and sweet, then tossed with crunchy salted pistachios and deliciously earthy farro. Every bite of this dish is a joy.
Serve as a side or as part of a light main course. It’s an easy part of any weekday meal!
Of course, this recipe makes for a perfect side dish with meats or poultry. But for a light main course, serve it with a couple of other sides – like this sautéed Swiss chard with lemon zest and these luxurious mashed potatoes with garlic confit.
Food & wine pairing: Austria, Neuburger with farro and pan-roasted Brussels sprouts
If serving this dish as a main course, then pour a full-bodied, aromatic white wine like a Chasselas or Pinot Blanc from Alsace, a Viognier from Southern France or California, or a Neuburger from Austria. The latter, a lesser-known varietal, is lush and has nutty notes that pair wonderfully with the pistachios.
Farro with pan-roasted Brussels sprouts & pistachios
active time: 30 min
For the farro
- 6 cups spring water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large garlic cloves – skinned and left whole
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 cup farro (semi-pearled or pearled barley is a good substitute)
For the Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 12 oz (340 g) Brussels sprouts – trimmed, halved and cut lengthwise in 1/8″ slices
- 1 shallot – skinned, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/8″ slices
- 2 garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup salted shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid from the farro
- Step 1: Place the water in a medium heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil. Add the salt, garlic, bay leaf and grains. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, until tender but still al dente. Drain well, remove the garlic and bay leaf and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Step 2: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter. As soon as the butter has melted, add the olive oil and syrup. Stir well and add the Brussels sprouts. Sauté for 6 to 7 minutes until golden-brown, stirring only from time to time. Add the shallots and sauté for 2 more minutes until softened. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for an additional 30 seconds until the garlic has released its flavor, but don’t let it brown. Add the pistachios, farro and reserved cooking liquid. Toss well and sauté for a few seconds only. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.