Did you know that the dry muesli that comes in a box bears no resemblance whatsoever to the fresh muesli you can make from scratch? If you’ve never tasted fresh, homemade muesli, you owe it to yourself to try this recipe.
The heart of fresh muesli is rolled oats soaked in milk. (I love to add currants to the oats for the delicate sweetness they release.) Once they’ve absorbed the milk, you’ll coarsely grate loads of snappy apples and add them to the mix, along with yogurt, honey and a generous splash of lemon juice. The lemon juice is a critical ingredient here. It brightens the flavors and brings a needed counterpoint to the sweetness of the fruits and honey. So don’t be tempted to skimp.
Serve it with seasonal berries and toasted almonds, and you have a muesli that’s not only nutritious, it’s also light and absolutely delicious.
What a perfect way to start your day!
Fresh muesli with apples, currants and toasted almonds
active time: 20 min
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 medium Gala, Braeburn, Fuji or other firm-flesh apples – unpeeled and cored
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries…)
- Step 1: Place the oats and currants in a large bowl. Add the milk, stir and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes until the grains have absorbed all the liquid.
- Step 2: Add the yogurt and honey to the oat mixture. Coarsely grate the apples with a box grater. Add to the oat mixture with the lemon juice and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Step 3: Heat a small heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and constantly stir or shake the pan until they become golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Step 4: To serve – Spoon the muesli into breakfast bowls. Top with the berries, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve.