Kir Royal – the ultimate elegant cocktail – evokes thoughts of Paris and grand festivities (at least to me!). And why shouldn’t it? After all, the main ingredient in this sublime cocktail is Champagne and most of us don’t sip Champagne every day. We save it for special occasions. And that’s a good thing; it gives us a chance to really savor this supreme beverage without taking it for granted.
To make this famed cocktail even more tantalizing, I use Chambord liqueur instead of the traditional Crème de Cassis. The raspberry liqueur has a delicate and sophisticated flavor that’s irresistible with a good sparkler. For a bit of fun, I top the drinks with frozen raspberries. The berries end up floating at the top of the drink, turning into cheerful raspberry ice cubes!
Next time you’re thinking of pouring a festive drink for friends, give this Kir Royal a try. It’s easy to mix, gorgeous to look at and quite delicious to the taste buds.
active time: 15 min
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 6 lemon twists
- 3 oz (90 ml) Chambord or raspberry liqueur
- 1 bottle Champagne or sparkling wine – very well chilled
- Step 1: Rinse the raspberries and drain on paper towels. Once dry, place in a single layer on a tray lined with wax paper and freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Step 2: Place a lemon twist in each Champagne flute. Pour a 1/2 ounce (15ml) of liqueur in each flute. Top with the Champagne or sparkling wine. Garnish with 2 or 3 frozen berries and a twist of lemon. Serve immediately.