Here’s a sandwich that’s easy to assemble, healthy and quite spunky! Indeed, the pickled shallots bring a marvelous contrast to the creamy avocado hummus and the hefty whole-wheat pitas (which I love to use for this sandwich). Drizzled with avocado oil and dotted with baby spinach leaves, this sandwich is downright addictive.
Enjoy this bite-sized demo!
Open-face Avocado Hummus Sandwich with Pickled Shallots and Baby Spinach
active time: 15 min
- 4 whole-wheat or regular pitas
- 1 recipe Avocado hummus with toasted coriander and avocado oil
- avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil) for drizzling
- 2/3 cup Pickled shallots with fresh thyme
- 3 oz (85 g) baby spinach (1 large handful)
- Heat a griddle or panini press to high heat. Grill the pitas until grill marks appear. Place each pita in the center of a large plate. Top with 1/2 cup of avocado hummus and spread it evenly over the whole surface of the pita. Sprinkle with the toasted coriander and drizzle with a little avocado oil. Dot with the pickled shallots, top with the baby spinach and serve immediately, while the pita is still warm.
If you don’t have the time to make the pickled shallots, you can serve the sandwiches with sliced red onions instead. It won’t have the flavor punch the pickled shallots provide, but it will still be delicious. Use half of a medium red onion. Slice the onion crosswise in 1/16” slices using a mandoline. Fill a small bowl with cold water and add 1 tablespoon white wine or distilled vinegar. Place the onions in the water/vinegar mixture and let stand for 15 minutes, to de-flame them. Drain the onions and place on paper towels to remove excess water.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.