I came up with this recipe after searching high and low in several gourmet markets and finding nothing that fit the image I had in my mind’s palate for these deliciously cheesy and light little twists.
The perfect party finger-food, these Parmesan-fennel twists are so addictive that it’s a good idea to make more than one batch!
makes 32 twists
active time: 15 min
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet – thawed at room temperature for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds – coarsely crushed in a mortar
- unbleached all-purpose flour for the work surface
- 1 large jelly roll pan – lined with Silpat or lightly buttered
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Unfold puff pastry dough onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with a little additional flour and roll dough into a 10″ x 10″ square. Sprinkle the whole surface with the Parmesan and fennel seeds. Continue rolling the dough until it measures 12″ x 12″, pressing the Parmesan and fennel seeds into the dough. Cut dough into 1 1/2″ x 3″ pieces. Fold each piece in half lengthwise and twist two or three times. Place the twists on the prepared pan, 1″ apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until light-golden and puffed up. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Cook’s note: The twists can be stored in a sealed container for up to 2 days, but are best eaten the day they’re made.