These bite-sized latkes are superb! The cayenne-spiced crème fraîche is perfect with the sweet, mellow beets.
You might just want to pile them up on your plate!
To read the Rockland Magazine Hanukkah feature and for all the recipes click on Lights, candles, latkes! How to throw an unforgettable Hanukkah dinner party
Roasted Beet Latkes with Scallion and Cayenne Crème Fraîche
makes 48 silver-dollar size latkes
active time: 40 min
For the latkes
- 1 lb (454gr) (4 medium) baked red beetroots – peeled and coarsely chopped in a food processor using steel blade (3 cups)
- 12 scallions – ends trimmed and thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
For the cayenne crème fraîche
- 2/3 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne or to taste
- olive oil for the pan
- Step 1: Place the beets and scallions in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the flour, salt and pepper. Toss well. Add the eggs and stir until well blended.
- Step 2: Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to generously cover the pan, about 1/8″. Using a dessert spoon, scoop up a heaping teaspoon of batter and shape it into a mound. Drop each latke into the hot oil. Slightly flatten with the back of the spoon. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until golden-brown. Flip the latkes and sauté for another 2 minutes until golden-brown. (You may have to lower the heat as the pan gets hot: the latkes shouldn’t turn brown too fast and the oil should never come to smoking point.) Transfer to a platter lined with a paper towel. Repeat until the beet mixture has all been used up, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.
- Cook’s note: The latkes can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and kept at room temperature. To re-heat, place on a jellyroll pan and warm in a 400°F (204ºC) preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes until sizzling and proceed with step 4.
- Step 3: Place the crème fraîche in a small bowl. Add the cayenne and gently mix until well bended. Do not overmix or the crème fraîche will become too loose. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Step 4: Place the latkes on a platter. Serve with the cayenne crème fraîche on the side.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.