Beet tops are high on my list of favorite leafy greens, and a quick way to prepare them is to sauté them with garlic and chili pepper flakes. (Leafy greens taste so much more flavorful with a bit of spice!) Served on top of toasted baguette slices, the tender, warm beet greens make a mouthwatering hors d’oeuvre or appetizer.
Here are more delicious recipes with beet greens…
As for the roots, click here for many creative and delectable recipes. Bon appétit!
A sparkling rosé is absolutely delightful with these crostini!
Spicy Beet-Green Crostini
makes 12 crostini or serves 4
active time: 30 min
- 12 oz (340 g) beet leaves (without stems)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes to taste
- 2 large garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- 12 baguette slices – cut on the diagonal in 1/4″ thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Step 1: Stack a few beet leaves on top of each other and cut them lengthwise in 1″ strips. Then cut the strips crosswise in 1″ pieces and place in a large bowl. Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, red pepper flakes and garlic. Sauté for about 30 seconds only, so that the garlic doesn’t brown. Add the beet greens and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until wilted, tossing frequently. Add the salt, toss well and continue sautéing for another minute until most of the pan juices have evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Step 2: Toast the baguette slices under a broiler until golden-brown on both sides. Top each bread slice with the beet greens and drizzle with a little olive oil. Place the crostini on a serving platter and serve immediately, while still warm.
Don’t have beet greens on hand? You can make the crostini with mustard greens, young kale, escarole, chicory or Swiss chard leaves – all incredibly delicious here.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.