Cumin-crusted oven fries Perfect baked fries with a seedy crunch
Baking amazing french fries in the oven is easier than you think
It’s hard to resist potatoes. Puréed, boiled, baked, fried, roasted… no matter how you cook them, these humble roots always taste good. But bake oven fries with cumin seeds and these spuds are not just good, they’re sublime. The cumin seeds, while roasting along with the potatoes, acquire a deep flavor and add a bit of crunch to each slice – making them addictive and dreamy!
For next-level goodness, make your own mayo!
Naturally, these oven fries are scrumptious on their own and make a versatile side dish. But for a little indulgence, or to enjoy them tapas-style, serve them with this lemony homemade mayonnaise.
Here’s to those humble spuds!
Cumin-crusted oven fries
active time: 15 min
- 2 1/4 lbs (1 kg) russet potatoes (4 medium)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 recipe homemade mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 large non-stick jelly roll pan
- Preheat oven to 450 ºF (230 ºC).
- Scrub the potatoes but do not peel them. Cut lengthwise in 1/2″ wedges. Place the potato slices on the jelly roll pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Toss well then spread the slices in a single layer, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes until tender. Remove aluminum foil, flip over each slice. Return tray to oven and continue baking uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until golden-brown. Remove from oven and serve piping hot, with the mayonnaise on the side if desired.