I had other plans for the fragrant watermelon I’d bought at the farmers’ market last Sunday, but Kate Bush’s song “Eat the music” inspired me to make a sinfully delicious cocktail, one that is sure to make your taste buds sing…
I also thought the watermelon would be its usual seductive pink color, but it turned out to be deep-yellow — and, I might add, super-sweet!
The idea of garnishing the rim with more than just salt happened as I was making my first trial — it was a fluke! I found myself stirring into my sugar-salt mixture a bit of smoky chipotle powder. The result? As you put your nose in the glass to take your first sip you get a whiff of smokiness — an unbelievable counterpoint to the sweet aroma of the watermelon!
As for the drink itself, the Reposado tequila rounds off the flavor of the watermelon beautifully, the elderflower liqueur accentuates its lovely floral notes, and the fresh lime juice keeps everything in check. In a word: Heaven in a glass…
Cheers… And this time… Drink the music!
Yellow Watermelon Margarita with Chipotle Rim
active time: 10 min
For the rim
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle
- lime wedge
For the cocktail
- 2 oz (60 ml) Reposado Tequila
- 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) watermelon juice (see cook’s note)
- 3/4 oz (20 ml) Saint Germain elderflower liqueur
- 3/4 oz (20 ml) fresh lime juice
- Step 1: Place the sugar, salt and chipotle powder in a small bowl and mix well. Spread on a small plate. Moisten the rim of a cocktail glass with the lime wedge and dip the glass rim in the sugar/salt/chipotle mixture. Set aside.
- Step 2: For the cocktail – Shake all ingredients with ice cubes until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Pour in the prepared glass and serve immediately!
- Cook’s note: To make the watermelon juice – remove rind and seeds of watermelon and cut flesh in 2” chunks. Place in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Then process until smooth and liquidy. Strain through a fine sieve. Transfer juice into large squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 days (after 3 days the juice starts losing its flavor).