What are haricots verts?
Haricots verts means “green beans” in French, but they aren’t exacly like the green beans we know and love in the U.S. Compared to standard green beans, haricots verts tend to be longer and skinnier and have a bit more snap to them. And boy are they good here!
Serve these tasty buttered green beans with almost any summer meal!
This side vegetable might be super-simple to prepare, but it is absolutely delicious nonetheless. All that’s required is to make the tarragon butter and toss the blanched beans with it, and you end up with a side that’s superbly flavorful.
But that’s not all… These delectable beans are so versatile, they can be served with just about any summery meal!
Haricots verts with tarragon butter
active time: 15 min
For the tarragon butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the haricots verts
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (to boil the haricots verts)
- 1 1/4 lbs (565 g) haricots verts (or green beans) – stem ends trimmed and left whole
- Step 1: Place the butter in a small bowl. Add the tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended and set aside.
- Step 2: Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the salt and haricots verts. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes (depending on their size) until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the tarragon butter. Stir well and serve immediately.
- Cook’s note: If using regular green beans for this recipe, you’ll need to boil them for a minute or two longer as they are larger than haricots verts.
- Although tarragon is absolutely stunning with haricots verts, there are many other fresh herbs you could use for this dish. Substitute the tarragon for:
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
– 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
– 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel greens
– 1 tablespoon finely chopped marjoram or oregano
– 8 large basil leaves cut en chiffonade
– 12 large mint leaves cut en chiffonade
- To learn how to cut en chiffonade, watch the video clip above.