Sweet, aromatic tangerine juice…
What would the cold months be without fresh, tangy, perfumed citrus fruits? I can’t even imagine! To me, tangerines are one of winter’s greatest culinary gifts of all. These delectable fruits are exceptionally sweet and aromatic.
…muddled with tangerine zest and fresh rosemary: a highly sippable concoction!
But it’s not only their juice that’s incredibly fragrant. The zest of tangerines is filled with tiny oil glands that are loaded with the pure essence of the fruit. It’s this zesty flavor that I really wanted to capture in this refreshing, non-alcoholic drink… and muddling the unpeeled fruit does the job marvelously. Additionally, the tangerines are muddled with fresh rosemary to make a thirst-quenching, highly sippable, totally delicious concoction.
Try it with satsumas, Minneola tangelos or any sweet tangerines
You can make this delightful drink with satsumas, honey tangerines, Minneola tangelos, clementines, Page mandarins or any other sweet tangerines or mandarins you can lay your hands on.
May this drink fill your winter days with sunshine!
Muddled tangerine-rosemary spritzer
active time: 10 min
- 5 large tangerines (or mandarins)
- 1/4 large lime – cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (6″ long)
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 cup club soda or sparkling water – chilled
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs as garnish
- Cut one tangerine in 1” pieces. Juice the balance of the tangerines. Place the tangerine pieces in a large mixing glass or container (alternatively, use a pitcher). Add the lime pieces, rosemary, sugar and tangerine juice. Using a muddler, crush the fruits until they have released their juices and the rosemary is crushed, about 1 minute. Strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve, pressing all the juices out, and discard the pulp. You should have about 1 cup of muddled juice. Fill 2 tumblers with ice and pour the juice into the glasses. Top with the club soda or sparkling water. Garnish with the rosemary sprigs and serve immediately.
- Cook’s note: The muddled juice can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. If refrigerated for a longer period the juice loses its delicate flavors.