Classic coleslaw with black mustard seeds and Greek yogurt dressing A simple twist on the traditional coleslaw recipe. Easy, light and creamy!
This homemade coleslaw will blow you away!
Forget about store-bought slaw… the mushy kind loaded with mayonnaise (and calories!). Make your own instead, and you’ll never look back. (If you do prefer to make coleslaw with mayonnaise, try making your own.)
Here’s a coleslaw that’s made with the traditional ingredients: cabbage, carrots and scallions. But the addition of the black mustard seeds and the super-light Greek yogurt dressing make it the best you’ve ever had — and one you won’t feel bad about eating a whole bowl of. A perfect side for all your favorite comfort foods… like sandwiches and burgers!
Classic coleslaw with black mustard seeds and greek yogurt dressing
active time: 30 min
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
For the slaw
- 8 oz (225 g) green or Savoy cabbage
- 4 medium carrots 8 oz (225 g) – peeled
- 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds (or yellow mustard seeds)
- Step 1: Place the vinegar, mustard, honey, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Add the yogurt and whisk again until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Step 2: Using a mandoline, slice the cabbage in 1/8″ slices and place in a large bowl. Adjust your mandoline to the julienne blade, slice the carrots in julienne slices and add to the cabbage. (Alternatively, grate the carrots with a box grater or with a food processor, using the shredding attachment.) Trim the root ends of the scallions and cut the top 1″ off the leaves. Cut each scallion in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise on the diagonal in 1/8″ slices. Add the scallions to the cabbage, sprinkle with the mustard seeds and drizzle the vegetables with the dressing. Toss until well coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.