Movie night is a big event in our house, especially after a busy workweek. And the evening is never complete without a bowl of homemade popcorn!
This recipe is my husband Marc’s favorite… The savory Parmesan and the aromatic rosemary, briefly pan-fried in a bit of butter, make this popcorn quite addictive. Let’s just say this; we always have to pause the movie so that I can make a second batch.
Here’s another exotic and mouthwatering recipe (Marc’s second-favorite!): Popcorn with Garam Masala butter.
Serve your favorite beer… just about anything goes with this popcorn! If you prefer to pour a wine, then serve a Prosecco or a white wine – something full-bodied with herbaceous notes, like a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay or dry Riesling.
Popcorn with Rosemary Butter and Parmesan
active time: 10 min
For the rosemary butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
For the popcorn
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed, canola or peanut oil
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely grated Reggiano Parmesan
- Step 1: Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. As soon as the butter has melted, add the rosemary. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until the rosemary loses its moisture and releases its fragrance, but make sure not to brown it. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Step 2: Heat a large heavy-bottomed wok (or skillet or pot) over medium-high heat. Add the oil and a couple of corn kernels. Cover pan. As soon as the kernels pop, add the balance of the kernels and shake the pan. Cover pan and cook until all the kernels have popped, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the sea salt, pepper and Parmesan and drizzle with the rosemary butter. Quickly stir until well blended and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.