When the season is in full force and tomatoes abound, I love to make these oven-roasted tomatoes. It’s a wonderful departure from regular tomato sauce and it makes for a very adaptable, yet delicious, condiment.
Tomato and garlic: a match made in heaven
During the roasting process, the tomatoes acquire a concentrated flavor while the garlic and herbs do their part and give them fantastic aromatics.
The succulent slices make a guest appearance in this mouthwatering bulgur and chickpeas with roasted tomatoes and grilled halloumi. But they can also be used to make a coulis or dip; simply served as a side vegetable with fish or chicken; scattered on top of a pizza; or tossed with a summery pasta.
Roasted tomatoes with garlic and lemon thyme
makes 2 1/2 cups
active time: 20 min
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) ripe beefsteak tomatoes (5 large) – peeled, cut in 1 1/2″ slices and seeded
- 8 large garlic cloves – skinned and halved
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon thyme leaves (or regular thyme)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the tomato slices in a non-stick roasting pan (one large enough to hold them in a single layer). Sprinkle with the garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the vinegar and olive oil. Toss well, spread in a single layer and bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until all the juices have evaporated and the edges around the pan are golden-brown. Transfer to a container and use right away in your recipe of choice, or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- For some recipes, it is more attractive to cut the tomatoes in thin slices before roasting them. If you choose to make roasted tomato slices, you’ll need:
– 2 lbs (905 g) ripe beefsteak tomatoes – unpeeled and cut in 1/4″ slices
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– All other ingredients are as above.
- Lightly brush a large jelly roll pan with olive oil. Place the tomato slices in a single layer on the prepared pan and brush with the balance of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the herbs and tuck the garlic between the slices. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until all the juices have evaporated and the edges around the pan are golden-brown.