Sautéed haricots verts with fresh corn and chives A simple and refined veggie side dish for summer
Sweet fresh corn, crunchy green beans, and chives straight from the garden… a match made in heaven!
This may just be the ultimate summer side dish. It’s quick and easy to make, amazingly fresh-tasting and, of course, delicious! Plus, it makes a great addition to all the summer meals you already know and love.
The only thing you have to watch out for is overcooking the veggies. We want to preserve the flavor and texture of the delicate corn and haricots verts, and a couple minutes of cooking is all that’s required.
Slightly crunchy and bursting with the sweetness of fresh corn, this simple dish is always a favorite.
Sautéed Haricots Verts with Fresh Corn and Chives
active time: 20 min
- 1 teaspoon sea salt for the blanching water
- 12 oz (340 g) haricots verts or slender green beans – stem-ends trimmed and cut on the diagonal in 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears fresh corn – husks removed and kernels shaved off the cob with a sharp knife
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chives – cut in 1/2″ slices
- Step 1: Fill a large bowl with cold water and several ice cubes. Set aside. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add the salt and beans. Blanch the beans for 2 to 3 minutes until tender but still a bit crunchy. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice-water bath until cool. Drain on a clean kitchen towel. Pat dry and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook’s note: The beans can be blanched up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated until ready to proceed with the recipe.
- Step 2: Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter. As soon as the butter has melted, add the oil and corn. Toss well and sauté for about 1 minute, until the corn starts to become translucent at the edges. Add the beans, salt and pepper. Toss well again and continue to sauté for another minute until the beans are heated through. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the chives. Serve immediately.