Apricot smoothie with almond milk and lemon balm A healthy fruit smoothie recipe that’s loaded with flavor
A delicious, easy-to-make smoothie that’ll satisfy kids and adults alike
This smoothie is all about the marvelous flavor of ripe apricots! These fantastic summer fruits don’t need much dressing up to make a great smoothie, so it’s best to keep it simple.
In that vein, this smoothie is sweetened with honey instead of sugar, making it both more flavorful and healthier. The almond milk adds a nutty flavor to the drink, but it’s a bit bland on its own…so, here, we add roasted almond to boost the flavor without making it too rich. And the lemon balm and lemon zest add a fresh, vibrant element to our smoothie – in fact, I’d even go so far as to say this drinks tastes dull without them!
While I love apricots, it’s worthwhile to note that this smoothie can be made with other stone fruits too. Peaches and nectarines, for example, are wonderful here.
Breakfast smoothie, anyone?
The smoothie is refreshing, light and incredibly delicious – perfect for breakfast or as a pick-me-up on a warm summer day.
Apricot smoothie with almond milk and lemon balm
makes 32 oz (95 cl) or serves 4
active time: 10 min
- 1 lb (455 g) ripe apricots (about 6 medium) – pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (use a microplane grater)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 large leaves lemon balm (or fresh mint)
- 1 1/4 cups (295 ml) unsweetened almond milk – chilled
- 8 large ice cubes – crushed
- lemon balm sprigs (or mint sprigs) as garnish
- Place the apricots, almonds and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Add the lemon zest, honey, lemon balm, almond milk and crushed ice and process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour into glasses, garnish with the lemon balm sprigs and serve.
- To crush the ice cubes, place them in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin – it makes the job easy and mess-free.