One of the most succulent little jewels of summer is the blackberry. Sweet, tart, almost inky-black, these berries are intensely flavorful… and make the taste buds tingle.
In my version of the iconic Cosmopolitan, fresh blackberry purée is spiked with orange bitters for a quintessential summer cocktail.
Blackberry Cosmopolitan with orange bitters
active time: 15 min
For the blackberry purée
- 6 oz (170 g) fresh blackberries
For the cocktails
- 3 oz (90 ml) vodka
- 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) blackberry purée (see Step 1)
- 1/2 oz (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- thin slices of orange as garnish
- Step 1: Place the blackberries in the bowl of a food processor. Process until liquidy, about 1 minute. Transfer to a fine sieve suspended over a bowl. With a silicone spatula, stir the purée until all the juices have been strained and only the seeds are left behind. Discard seeds. You should have 4 1/2 oz (135 ml) of purée – enough to make 6 Cosmopolitans. Transfer purée into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Step 2: To make the cocktails – Shake the vodka, liqueur, blackberry purée, lime juice and bitters with ice cubes until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with an orange slice and serve immediately.
Pingback: Blackcurrant cocktail with coconut water and burnt lemon peel — food & style
I love Blackberry’s! Looks delicious. Thank you for sharing Viviane!
Pingback: Strawberry Cosmopolitan with ginger liqueur and rhubarb bitters — food & style
Pingback: Colorful Cocktails for National Vodka Day | Yummly
It must have been a century since I last had a cosmopolitan!! O man..I didn’t know I miss orange bitter until now….gotta visit liquor store tomorrow.
I could very easily drink this right now. It looks and sounds so nice. I never make cocktails but I must start!
Fabulous drink and I just love the way you clicked them!
Oooh, yummy! And stunning, too~
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments everyone! Wishing you a great weekend and raising a chilled glass of blackberry cosmopolitan to you all!
Ooooo; yum! And I don’t even drink much 😀
This is such a beautiful post. delicious sounding recipe and AMAZING photos!
As always – stunning. I love black berries!
What a fabulous cocktail, love this!! 🙂
Viviane – I adore that photo. I’m trying to figure out how you shot it. Is the table glass, and the wall painted blue? The colors are exquisite.
Lori Lynn, It took quite a while for me to get this photo right. For some reason, the blackberry cosmopolitain makes me dream of sitting on a sunny terrace, overlooking a stunning ocean view. So I tried to create this right in my living room. The walls are white, and yes, my table is glass. I used a blue background and lights to create the far away, sunny, blue feeling. I’m so glad you like it… Cheers!
Thanks for the explanation. It’s awesome.
Okay, you’re really making me thirsty now!
That sounds really tasty with the blackberry purée. Or maybe it was your exquisite description.
Sounds perfect for summer!