Fresh basil leaves are muddled along with the fresh mint and lime. The result is a refreshing and perfect summer drink — not too sweet and full of flavor. I love to serve it with Pimientos de Padrón, but it’s just as delicious with any hors d’oeuvre. This recipe has been a favorite of my guests many times over, and I can only hope it will soon be one of yours as well!
Dark rum mojito with basil
active time: 10 min
- 1 large lime – cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 8 large mint leaves
- 4 large basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons organic sugar
- 3 oz (90 ml) dark rum
- club soda or sparkling water
- fresh mint and lime slices as garnish
- Step 1: Place the lime, mint, basil, and sugar in a mixing glass. Using a muddler, crush the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved and the lime has released its juice. Top with ice cubes and rum. Shake vigorously until very cold.
- Step 2: Fill 2 tumblers with ice. Strain the mixture into the glasses. Top with a little club soda or sparkling water. Garnish with a mint leaf and lime slice. Serve immediately.