Easy and delicious lemony goodness
When you feel like having a luxurious breakfast at home, give these soufflé pancakes a try. They’re deliciously lemony and as fluffy as can be, thanks to the beaten egg whites that are gently folded in. Served with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup, the warm cakes make for a very special breakfast indeed!
Lemon soufflé pancakes with strawberries
makes 8 medium pancakes or serves 4
active time: 30 min
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 4 extra large eggs – separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (use a microplane grater)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter – melted
- extra unsalted butter for the pan
- 1 lb (455 g) strawberries (or any other seasonal berries) – hulled and cut in 1/4″ slices
- grade A maple syrup for drizzling
- lemon balm or mint leaves as garnish
- Step 1: Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Step 2: Place the milk, egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in a separate bowl and whisk until well blended. Add the melted butter and whisk again until well blended. Set aside. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat at high speed until firm peaks form. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and gradually whisk in the milk/egg mixture until moistened. (The batter should be slightly lumpy.) Then fold in the egg whites until just incorporated.
- Step 3: Heat a 7″ non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a dollop of butter and reduce heat to medium/medium-high. Using about 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake, pour the batter into the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the top is covered with bubbles, the edges look dry and the bottom is golden. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until the bottom is golden. Add a little butter to the pan before cooking the next pancake. Place two pancakes on each plate, spoon the strawberries on the side and drizzle with as much maple syrup as you’d like. Garnish with a lemon balm or mint leaf and serve.
- If you have a griddle, by all means use it to make the pancakes! It’ll go much faster, as you’ll be able to cook several pancakes at a time. Alternatively, just use two pans – that’s what I always do.