The holiday party season is an exciting, yet frantic time of the year. But even so, you want to go the extra mile and serve something distinctive to your guests. In that spirit, even the customary bowl of mixed olives could use a little dressing up.
In this recipe, shaved fennel adds a crunchy, refreshing bite to the olives, while the lemon zest and chili pepper liven things up, and the fennel greens make the dish colorful and festive.
It only takes minutes to put this dish together, but your guests will appreciate that even your bowl of mixed olives got the holiday treatment.
Marinated olives with fennel, lemon and chili pepper
makes 2 cups
active time: 15 min
- 1/2 small fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fennel greens
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes or 1 small fresh cayenne chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 strips lemon zest – use vegetable hand-peeler to peel the lemon zest and cut each strip in 1/16″ julienne slices
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs (565 g) mixed olives
- Trim and cut fennel bulb in half. Using a vegetable hand-peeler, shave 12 strips from the bulb and place in a large bowl. Add the balance of the ingredients. Stir well and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- Cook’s note: Refrigerate up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.