A simple, healthy family meal
When I want to serve a weeknight meal that’s healthy and easy to prepare, I often turn to making soft tacos – they make a complete meal all on their own.
Vegetarian tacos with all the flavor you could ask for!
In this version, the corn tortillas are stuffed with smoked mozzarella and sautéed summer veggies. The whole thing is drizzled with a zestful roasted salsa verde and fresh cilantro. Needless to say, this flavor-packed meal will keep you coming back for more!
Food & beer pairing: American or Belgian pale ale with red pepper and sweet corn tacos
American or Belgian pale ales are delightful here. These lightly hoppy, crisp beers don’t overwhelm the sautéed summer vegetables, but they still stand up to the spiciness of the salsa verde. A refreshing and delightful summer pairing!
Corn and zucchini soft tacos with roasted salsa verde
makes 8 small tacos
active time: 20 min
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini – ends trimmed and cut in 1/4” cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper – seeded and cut in 1/4” cubes
- 1 large ear fresh corn – husks removed and kernels shaved off the cob
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 6 oz (170 g) smoked mozzarella – coarsely grated
- 1 recipe roasted salsa verde
- 1 cup cilantro leaves as garnish
- Step 1: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, zucchini and bell pepper. Toss well until the ingredients are well coated with the oil and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until golden-brown, tossing only from time to time. Add the corn, toss again and sauté for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until the corn is heated through. Add the salt, toss again, remove pan from stove and set aside.
- Step 2: Preheat a griddle or grill to high heat. Place the tortillas directly on the griddle and cook until just warmed. Turn them over and cook until warmed through. This should only take a few seconds on each side. (Over-cooking the tortillas will make them fall apart.) Place the tortillas on a cutting board. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and top with the sautéed vegetables. Fold in half and place on a tray or large platter. Serve with the salsa verde and cilantro leaves on the side, letting each guest spoon the salsa and cilantro on top of the sautéed vegetables as they eat the tacos.