One of the most succulent little jewels of summer is the blackberry. Sweet, tart, almost inky-black, these berries are intensely flavorful… and make the taste buds tingle.
In my version of the iconic Cosmopolitan, fresh blackberry purée is spiked with orange bitters for a quintessential summer cocktail.
Blackberry Cosmopolitan with orange bitters
active time: 15 min
For the blackberry purée
- 6 oz (170 g) fresh blackberries
For the cocktails
- 3 oz (90 ml) vodka
- 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz (45 ml) blackberry purée (see Step 1)
- 1/2 oz (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- thin slices of orange as garnish
- Step 1: Place the blackberries in the bowl of a food processor. Process until liquidy, about 1 minute. Transfer to a fine sieve suspended over a bowl. With a silicone spatula, stir the purée until all the juices have been strained and only the seeds are left behind. Discard seeds. You should have 4 1/2 oz (135 ml) of purée – enough to make 6 Cosmopolitans. Transfer purée into a squeeze bottle and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Step 2: To make the cocktails – Shake the vodka, liqueur, blackberry purée, lime juice and bitters with ice cubes until a thin layer of frost appears on the outside of the shaker. Strain into martini glasses. Garnish with an orange slice and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: As always, my point of view is my own. I do not accept samples, and have no commercial relationship with any product, food or wine company.