Make this mint limeade for the kids… but save some for yourself
Here’s a drink that’ll charm children as well as adults! This refreshing, not-too-sweet, effervescent concoction has all the elements of a delicious limeade, but it’s sweetened with maple syrup (instead of sugar) and infused with lime zest and fresh mint.
Perfect for brunch!
The result is an intensely flavorful, lively drink that’s perfect for brunch—or for any time you might need to quench your thirst.
A fizzy drink with quite a bit of punch!
Homemade limeade infused with fresh mint
active time: 15 min
- 5 large limes
- 1 cup spring water
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (grade A or B)
- 1 bunch fresh mint (1 oz) (28 g) – rinsed and spin-dried
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 – 750 ml bottles sparkling water
- lime slices as garnish
- Step 1: Using a vegetable hand-peeler, peel the zest of each lime into 5 strips. Set aside. Juice the limes. You should have about 1 cup of juice.
- Step 2: Place the spring water, maple syrup, lime zest and mint in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/medium-high and fast-simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain through a fine sieve and let cool to room temperature.
- Step 3: Once cooled, add the lime juice, salt and sparkling water and stir a couple of times. Pour into glass bottles with strong bottle caps to keep the limeade fresh and sparkling. Serve with ices cubes and garnish with a lime slice.
- Cook’s note: The limeade is best consumed the day it’s made, but it will stay fresh for up to 2 days.