Want to make your own tart dough? A food processor makes it a breeze!
This tart dough is the basic crust I use for all my sweet tarts. It yields an incredibly crumbly crust, thanks to the almonds and butter, and it’s easy to make. All you’ll need is a food processor – it’ll do most of the work for you!
The step-by-step video in this recipe will show you exactly how to make the dough – and roll it and line your tart mold with it – in two easy steps. So make sure to watch it.
Are you ready to roll up your sleeves and make a tart? I am…
Here’s a superb tart to make with this dough: Pear tart with hazelnut frangipane and cardamom Chantilly
Pastry dough & homemade sweet tart crust
makes 1 large tart
active time: 30 min
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons blanched, sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (4 oz) (115 g) – cold, cut in 1″ chunks
- 3 tablespoons milk – cold
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- unbleached all-purpose flour to roll the dough
- 10″ to 11″ tart mold with removable bottom – buttered
- Step 1: Place the flour, almonds, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process at high speed for 15 seconds until the nuts are finely chopped. Add the chunks of butter and pulse until the mixture looks crumbly. Place the milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Drizzle evenly on the flour mixture and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball. Place the dough on a work surface. Form a single ball and flatten with the palm of your hand to make a 1 1/2″ thick circle. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes until cold, but still pliable.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Step 2: Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and set it on a floured surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and roll it out into a 12″ circle. Carefully arrange the dough in the prepared pan and trim the excess around the rim. Place the pan in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough is firm. Line the dough with aluminum foil and press carefully but firmly against the sides. Place the mold on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until pale yellow at the edges. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the foil. Use the tart shell to make your sweet tart recipe of choice.
Pingback: Butternut Squash-Cointreau Tart | Recipe | Food & Style
Pingback: Pear tart with hazelnut frangipane | Recipe | Food & Style
Pingback: Pear Tart With Hazelnut Frangipane and Cardamom Chantilly | Pinoria News
Pingback: Pear Tart With Hazelnut Frangipane and Cardamom Chantilly | likev.net
great website and recipes…..
Thank you so much, Dot!
gorgeous! Love this dough!
Thank you, Kayle!