A mouthwatering starter that defies expectations
Every time I serve these toasts, my guests think they’ll be eating smoked salmon… until they take the first bite! The aromatic carrot jam, paired with the luxurious cheese, is so delightful that no one misses the salmon here. Instead, disbelief and glee are painted on everyone’s face while they reach for another toast.
The best finger foods are delicious, beautiful and dead simple to prepare… Check, check, and check!
This mouthwatering hors d’oeuvre is easy to assemble and makes for a beautiful presentation to boot – a perfect finger food for a dinner party!
Food & wine pairing: Dry sparkling rosé with carrot jam and triple crème cheese toasts
Whether you serve these toasts as an hors d’oeuvre or as a cheese course, they’re superb with a dry, sparkling rosé!
Pullman toasts with carrot jam and triple crème cheese
makes 12 toasts or serves 4 to 6
active time: 15 min
- 6 slices whole-wheat or white Pullman bread – edges trimmed, each slice cut in half lengthwise
- 12 oz (340 g) triple crème cheese (Saint André, Pierre Robert, Nettle Meadow Kunik, Champlain Valley Triple Cream or similar cheese)
- 3/4 cup carrot jam with star anise
- carrot green sprigs as garnish
- Preheat broiler on high. Toast the bread on each side until golden-brown. Slice the cheese in 1/4″ slices, about the same size as the toasts. Top each toast with one slice of cheese and a large spoonful of the carrot jam. Garnish with the carrot green sprigs and serve immediately.
- Pullman bread is baked in a long, lidded pan. The result is a perfectly square loaf which makes it easy, and less wasteful, to trim the edges of each slice. But if you can’t find Pullman bread, regular sandwich bread works fine.
- Triple crème cheese is very soft, so it’s challenging to cut it in thin slices. Keeping the cheese in the refrigerator until you’re ready to slice it will make the job a lot easier. And the warm toasted bread will take care of warming the cheese, allowing its wonderful flavors to emerge.
Pingback: Carrot jam with star anise | Recipe | Food & Style
What a fine appetizer! I love those carrot jam!
Very elegant and perfect as an appetizer for the holidays. Great pairing with the carrot jam, loved that recipe.
Thank you so much , Evelyne… And happy holidays to you, my dear!